Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lowering Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2007, 05:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Lowering Question

I'm looking into lowering the rear of my 06 PT approx 2". Not the front. I have a few questions. Please remember I'm a girl so what is second nature to you men is a college degree for me.
Will I need to replace the struts also?
Can I lower just the rear or do I have to lower the front too?
If I lower the rear will it effect the front to where I may need to replace something?
Any brands you reccomend?
Any other tib bits of information you know of that I'm not thinking about would be great.
I do plan on adding sway bars front and rear with-in a month or 2 after the lowering. Would that make a difference in what I purchase to lower this PT?

Thanks for the Help
Old 09 Oct 2007, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lowering Question

[QUOTE=Gracefulspice;219677][I][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I'm looking into lowering the rear of my 06 PT approx 2". Not the front. I have a few questions. Please remember I'm a girl so what is second nature to you men is a college degree for me.
Will I need to replace the struts also? No, not if you only drop 2" or less.
Can I lower just the rear or do I have to lower the front too? I lowered the rear only on both my '02 and '05 PTs.
If I lower the rear will it effect the front to where I may need to replace something? No. You MAY have to adjust your headlights down.
Any brands you reccomend? try Rock Auto and Shox. com - look at the pictures - the turns of the coils shouldn't be the same spacing the whole length, that means they're "progressive wound" - the more they compress, the stiffer they are.
Any other tib bits of information you know of that I'm not thinking about would be great. It's very easy to lower the rears.
I do plan on adding sway bars front and rear with-in a month or 2 after the lowering. Would that make a difference in what I purchase to lower this PT?
No.

Thanks for the Help
Added in my replies...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Oct 2007, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Awsome!!!! Thanks for the Help Quicksilverdon!! Now I can't wait to get them.

Old 15 Oct 2007, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

One more thing - the instructions that come will mention cutting the bump stops - rubber "bumpers". I didn't and have had no trouble. Only time I every bottomed out was with 5 big adults in car over a railroad tracks - probably would've hit with stock springs....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 25 Nov 2007, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

mine is lowered 2" front and rear. I dont know why you would want to lower just the rear...
Old 25 Nov 2007, 10:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickPT View Post
mine is lowered 2" front and rear. I dont know why you would want to lower just the rear...
The PT is on a "rake" meaning it's higher in the rear than the front. Lowering the rear makes the car level. Most of the 4 spring lowering kits that you buy also level the PT buy giving you springs that lower the rear more than the front.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
1) The front is low enough - I have to be careful on some ramps already.
2) The fronts are harder to do - need a spring compressor and possibly an alignment
3) The wheel gap is bigger in the rear than in the front
4) I don't like the "butt in the air" look.

Old 26 Nov 2007, 06:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah my front is extremely low but it's level all around. weird. must be different sized coils then.

if your going to lower in the front i recommend not going as low as mine because i have hit speed bumps faster than I should have and it kills the paint. I have the pics to prove it....
plus it will be $750 to fix all the scratches I have on the front scoop and small ones near the right rear of the exhaust....

gahhh paint is so expensive
Old 26 Nov 2007, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
plus it will be $750 to fix all the scratches I have on the front scoop and small ones near the right rear of the exhaust....

gahhh paint is so expensive

QUICK TIP

I've had both my Corvette and Cruiser touched up in the last few months. Tomorrow, I'm taking the wife's KIA in to have the front right quarter panel touched up before she sees what I've done to her new car (another story). All the cars were done way cheaper than a paint shop and expertly done. There are guys that go around to the car dealers and touch up scratches and small dents that come on new cars and the cars that the dealer takes in trade. These guys work out of a truck and carry hundreds of car colors and can make and match what they don't have. I have two dealers near me where these guys set up Tuesday's Wednesday's and Thursday's and fix and paint the dealers cars and anyone off the street can take their personal car and have it done at their location. They fill, sand, prime, paint and clear coat your car in a matter of a couple hours sometimes between other jobs, sometimes they spare a guy to work just on your car. The job is perfect and as I said way less than a paint shop. Check it out in your area the next time your looking for a touch-up of a small rock chip, dent or scratch.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Nov 2007 at 07:34 pm.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
QUICK TIP

I've had both my Corvette and Cruiser touched up in the last few months. Tomorrow, I'm taking the wife's KIA in to have the front right quarter panel touched up before she sees what I've done to her new car (another story). All the cars were done way cheaper than a paint shop and expertly done. There are guys that go around to the car dealers and touch up scratches and small dents that come on new cars and the cars that the dealer takes in trade. These guys work out of a truck and carry hundreds of car colors and can make and match what they don't have. I have two dealers near me where these guys set up Tuesday's Wednesday's and Thursday's and fix and paint the dealers cars and anyone off the street can take their personal car and have it done at their location. They fill, sand, prime, paint and clear coat your car in a matter of a couple hours sometimes between other jobs, sometimes they spare a guy to work just on your car. The job is perfect and as I said way less than a paint shop. Check it out in your area the next time your looking for a touch-up of a small rock chip, dent or scratch.

can they match candy apple red? (to be honest i dont know how to describe it. its a deep red, darker than normal.)