PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lower control arm bushing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2007, 12:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to TCH
Default Lower control arm bushing

This morning I started pulling the lower control arms to replace the bushings on a 2002 PT Cruiser. I started with the right (passenger) side on the rear bushing. The bolt started coming out, then just started spinning. It feels like the captive nut has broken loose. The question now is how do I access the nut or remove the bolt to complete the procedure.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 02:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Lower control arm bushing

had the exact same problem believe it or not. its because the bolt is screwed into a piece that is then welded to the framing (which over time corrodes). the only way to get to it is by dropping the engine. the only way around dropping the engine is actually cutting through the body from the interior of the car.
Old 13 Jan 2008, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Lower control arm bushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTcutie View Post
had the exact same problem believe it or not. its because the bolt is screwed into a piece that is then welded to the framing (which over time corrodes). the only way to get to it is by dropping the engine. the only way around dropping the engine is actually cutting through the body from the interior of the car.

Worried now...
I have a 2000 limited edition 2litre PT in inferno red. I'm about to embark on this unavoidable maintainance task (Unavoidable as I live in "The land or speed humps and roundabouts... The UK)

How likely is it, that this welding will sheer when I start playing at the weekend?

If it does decide to play hardball, how hard is it to get at from the interior of the vehicle?

Many Thanks for any replies ( I'm a newbie you see)

Just a quick update, I have changed both sets of bushes on both sides. A pig of a job but I had no problems with any nuts sheering or spinning. Just use plenty of penetrating fluid (only if you are replacing with new bush because petroleum based lubricant can damage bushes).

Hoping to get rear watts link and anti roll bar done next week. Let you know how it goes.

Jon

Last edited by jv0901; 19 Jan 2008 at 07:33 pm. Reason: Progress update