Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake Swap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2007, 10:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Brake Swap?

I want to put bigger brakes on my PT, but can't find any aftermarket calipers.
Roters are everywhere though.
I was curious if the calipers from a Neon SRT-4 would bolt on my PT?
I have an 06' "Route 66" Edition PT. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

"Luck, when preparation and opportunity meet."
Old 17 Nov 2007, 05:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Brake Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFighter_21 View Post
I want to put bigger brakes on my PT, but can't find any aftermarket calipers.
Roters are everywhere though.
I was curious if the calipers from a Neon SRT-4 would bolt on my PT?
I have an 06' "Route 66" Edition PT. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
The front calipers and rotors on a SRT4 are the same as the PT GT brakes, If you want bigger or different than that, then you need to go after market, like SSBC, Stoptech, Brembo, or Willwood brakes.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 18 Nov 2007, 02:29 am
Young Cruiser

I emailed Brembo and Willwood and they said that they didn't offer anything other than roters for a PT. The SRT-4 calipers would be great as they are three piston calipers I believe. That would be very sufficient, but the real reason I wanna swap them out is cause I want bigger on the rear, and the SRT-4 would be great for that application, but would they bolt on. Would the fronts bolt on as well? If so, I will scavange the wrecking yeards/salvage yards looking for some.
If you can help anymore I really appreciate it. You've already been a BIG help! My PT is not a GT, how much would that matter?

Old 18 Nov 2007, 02:34 am
Young Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Brake Swap?

BTW, I checked out yer site. Nice job on the cars Pal. How did you make the third brake light lens? I would love one that said RT 66. TIA!

Old 18 Nov 2007, 11:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
I emailed Brembo and Willwood and they said that they didn't offer anything other than roters for a PT. The SRT-4 calipers would be great as they are three piston calipers I believe. That would be very sufficient, but the real reason I wanna swap them out is cause I want bigger on the rear, and the SRT-4 would be great for that application, but would they bolt on. Would the fronts bolt on as well? If so, I will scavange the wrecking yeards/salvage yards looking for some.
If you can help anymore I really appreciate it. You've already been a BIG help! My PT is not a GT, how much would that matter?
Hi,

Here are some links for kits, and there are others if you cannot find them let me know, but they are not cheap!

Brakes - BTG™ / StopTech Big Brake Kits

Dynalite Big Brake Front Hat Kits

Performance Disc Brake Search Results from Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation (SSBC)

The Factory SRT4 and PT GT Turbo brake systems are the same, they are still only single piston calipers, just larger calipers on the front with larger rotors, the rear calipers are the same as non GT calipers, but the rotors are wider and the pads are thinner so that it all fits.

Here are 2 pages from the Chrysler shop manual that shows the difference in stock and SRT4/PTGT brakes.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakes 2.jpg (88.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg brake-1.jpg (90.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 18 Nov 2007, 11:43 am
Young Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Brake Swap?

What is the difference between the brakes on my Rt. 66 and the GT Turbo? It was my understanding that the Rt. 66 was almost identical to the GT, just non-turbo.
I need to know if the SRT-4 brakes will fit the front and the back of mine and I am in business. If not, then I will have to go w/an aftermarket kit to get the results I want to acheive.
I think that there should be a way to fit front calipers on the back of a car. That is one of the things I would like, but I cannot see anyway it will happen. I would love to have the same size calipers all around.
You have been a tremendous help. Thanks so much!
I'll be in touch throughout the process.

Old 18 Nov 2007, 01:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
What is the difference between the brakes on my Rt. 66 and the GT Turbo? It was my understanding that the Rt. 66 was almost identical to the GT, just non-turbo.
I need to know if the SRT-4 brakes will fit the front and the back of mine and I am in business. If not, then I will have to go w/an aftermarket kit to get the results I want to acheive.
I think that there should be a way to fit front calipers on the back of a car. That is one of the things I would like, but I cannot see anyway it will happen. I would love to have the same size calipers all around.
You have been a tremendous help. Thanks so much!
I'll be in touch throughout the process.
If you have the GT brakes it will say "TURBO" in raised letters on the front of the caliper, (not the side but the very front) just like in the picture I posted for you. if so then you already have the SRT4/PTGT brakes.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 01:24 pm
Young Cruiser

K, Thanks!

Old 18 Nov 2007, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Something to watch for is wheel clearance - the GT calipers (because of a fatter rotor) stick out more, and will hit the back of some wheels.
The pads on all PTs are the same, just thicker rotors/calipers.
I think you could save a bunch of $ by buying good rotors (like the top-line NAPA rotors) and ceramic brakes (like Raybestos).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Nov 2007, 05:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks so much for the tip Quick....I appreciate it! I think I would be OK that way, since the stock rims are the same as the Turbo Convertible, so I don't think there would be a clearance problem depth wise.
One of the things I wanted was a better look w/the bigger calipers. Guess I am still pretty much stuck.