Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GT Chrome Starting to Bubble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2003, 12:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default GT Chrome Starting to Bubble

I cleaned my rims yesterday, and I noticed little "bubbles" starting to form in the chrome on my rims. The bubbles are approximately 1/8" in diameter. These are the 17" rims that come with the 'R' package on the PT Turbo.

Is this a defect, or normal wear and tear? I've owned the car for just over 3 months and I'm worried that if it's starting to bubble already, the rims will be the first parts to wear out!

The only products I've used on the rims is car wash soap and elbow grease. The rims have been hit by overspray from Meguiar's vinyl / rubber cleaner, but it is wiped off immediately.
Old 08 Jul 2003, 12:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

DTs_PTGT

Just wondering, do you see any kind of brown specks in your chrome?
I had the brown specks in my GT chrome rims that appeared to be rust but was very smooth. My dealer has since replaced them but I was wondering now that if they weren't replaced would they be "bubbling" now?
No matter, take it to the dealer and politely bitch, they will replace them. Good Luck!
Old 08 Jul 2003, 02:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

bigdoddad,

I don't have any "brown specks" in the rims, nor anything else that I would think looked "defective".

You really think they'll replace the rims? I guess there's no harm in asking, but how should I pitch my case? Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 08 Jul 2003, 02:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

This is how you pitch it:

"Look, I paid $xyz for this thing, and you're telling me that the rims are gonna look like [insert expletive here] in 3 months?! I haven't even driven it in winter yet and already they look like crap!"

Something like that.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 08 Jul 2003, 09:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

The rims are truely factory defects. Unless your dealership is one of the "5 star" (I am being a wise a$$ now) they will change them and get you new ones. Of course, if you have one of the great "5 star" dealerships they may try to bust your bxxxs, but be stern. Your GT does come with bumper to bumper after all. Keep up posted.
Old 09 Jul 2003, 09:38 am
Cool Cruiser

My dealer is a "5 star" dealership. I don't know what the criteria was, but they were selected as the best new car dealership in my area by The Hartford Advocate's readers' poll. So far I don't have any complaints with them, but I haven't had to ask for any warranty / free repair work yet.

I used Mother's Mag polish on the rims last night so I could inspect them while they were as clean as possible.

After looking at the defects again last night, I wouldn't ball them "bubbles" so much as indentations, or chips. They are roughly circular, and you can feel a ridge around the edges. They almost look like a layer of chrome has been chipped off. The weird thing is on two of the rims, the defects are right behind where the tire valve comes through the rim. I'll need to look over the rims again but I think the problem affects only two rims.

I will take pictures tonight and post them so it is easier to see what I'm talking about.
Old 09 Jul 2003, 02:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Chroming aluminum rims is always a problem because the metals don't like each other (thus bubbling). Don't expect that issue to go away. Peeling chrome exists after the bubble bursts (so to speak) and chances are when the factory put on the cheapo smack-on wheel weights, the plating was nicked, too.

If you live where they salt during winter, invest in some winter wheels/tires and avoid forthcoming corrosion problems. If you think about it, the only real cost for this set up is the wheel since tires are a wear item. In addition, you sorta get two "free" tire rotations per year and get the chance to detail behind the wheels.

Brown specks are from the brake pad and can be removed with some Flitz metal polish.

Just wondering if anyone had their silver painted versions custom polished?? PICS!!
Old 10 Jul 2003, 09:03 am
Cool Cruiser

I took pictures, but they came out crappy. Anyway, here is what I found.

The driver's side front rim has two distinct bubbles. They are definitely raised, but don't go down when you push on them, like they got filled as they raised. This is definitely not some kind of nick from road debris.

Both rear rims have indentations, as well as small clusters of bubbles that almost look like little zits.

I'll be taking it to the dealer after work today, I think I'll go directly to the guy that sold it to me.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 12:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

My dealer is replacing all 4 rims. They could only find problems on 3 rims but they said it was probably only a matter of time before the 4th went.

How's that for service? I'm stoked! They gave me no hassle whatsoever.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 01:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DTs_PTGT

My dealer is replacing all 4 rims. They could only find problems on 3 rims but they said it was probably only a matter of time before the 4th went.

How's that for service? I'm stoked! They gave me no hassle whatsoever.
That is exactly what the dealer is suppose to do.

But take a word of advice from a retired service manager. Don't take Triplejacks advice. You get more flies with sugar than with salt