PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CV shaft after hub and bearing replacement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2007, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default CV shaft after hub and bearing replacement?

Hi guys, first time poster here.

I just got my front bearing and hub replaced on my 04 PT GT w/ 41k. After I got it back from the dealer, the PT drives like crap. Above 40+ mpg, I can hear the tire thumping like it's out of balance. The steering wheel vibrates so much I can hold it w/ out my hand going numb. So I took it to get the tires rotated and rebalanced but the problem still exist.

The dealer took it back and look at it for 3 hrs, then said I need to have the CV shaft replaced.. even though boots are ok and no leakages anywhere. Anyone have similar or heard of this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Old 22 Dec 2007, 04:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: CV shaft after hub and bearing replacement?

did it act like this before you took it in for hub and bering replacement? usually when a CV joint goes out, you hear it clicking and clanking while turning well before any thumping is heard while normal driving. sometimes technicians get a little carried away and try to cut corners. perhaps they overextended the joint by letting it hang when they removed the knuckle. If the bad shaft was on the same side as the hub replacement, id say that it was damaged during the service and would argue that tot he death.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It only drove like it after they serviced it. I suspect something they did (so does the wife). The only issue I had was the grinding noise turning right when the car was cold. I thought it was just the breaks... but I thought wrong.

The CV joint/boot is covered by 7/70 but there's a $100 deductible...

Anoter job shop said it was the tire being out of round, but Discount tire said my wheel is bent. So do I get new wheels ($500+) or $100 to replace the CV joint?
Old 22 Dec 2007, 06:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

well the CV need to be replaced reguardless. as for the rim, Discount has never steered me wrong int he past. you could go back and get a second opinion from another tech. if it needs to be replaced, you could probably find a remanufactured wheel for about half the cost.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 09:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Cartman, I'll have to wait after Christmas to replace the CV joint, then see if the problem still exist. If it does, then I'll be buying new rims.

And if that doesn't solve it, it's time for a new 300C.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: CV shaft after hub and bearing replacement?

Update to my PT... it was in the shop for two weeks. They first had to order the axle half shaft, that took 3-4 days. Then dealer called me back and said they needed to order a new transmission (5 speed) because the shaft was fused onto the trans. At first I was like 'WTF' but since I didn't have to pay for it except my deductible of $100 from the 7/70 warranty, I didn't care.

After two weeks, I got my car back. The wheels started to thump again going over 60mpg, so I decided to get the tires rotated and balanced, again (3rd time over 200 miles).

Problem all fixed... thank goodness. and to think I was about to dump this car.

cliffnote:
1) new axle half shaft
2) new transmission because shaft was fused on
3) car fixed

Hey Cartman, is this a common problem?
Old 17 Feb 2008, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You need to find a new dealer. What happened was whoever changed the hub pulled on the knuckle with the lower balljoint separated which pulled the c.v. joint out of the cup. this makes for a longer axle. Whoever then jammed the axle back in place with the joint still separated. While jamming, probably bent the wheel and jammed the other end of the axle into the trans output bushing. Then your dealer/ service writer covered their own butt on the trans and axle with the vehicle warranty. Remember that $100 deductible? No warranty claim, you pay no deductible, the dealer should have paid for their tech's mistake, not Chrysler with a bogus warranty claim. Please find someone else to work on your car, you can't afford to trust these guys and neither can Chrysler !!
Old 04 Mar 2008, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks 37plymouth... well, here is an interesting story. I drove my PT for a few days after fixing all the stuff I 've mentioned, the problem came back. I didn't drive the PT for awhile since I didn't want to get 'shafted' again by the dealership. I knew the brakes needed replacing as it was grinding.

I took my car to a shop to replace the brakes, when I picked it up and drove it next day to work (I was going directly to dealership to have the other axle shaft replaced) but the problem went away... after replacing front brakes!

So all along, it was the brakes (which was the reason I took it into the dealership the first place). So they charged me almost $2k for all the other work on top of the $100 deductible for the 7/70 warranty stuff, that never needed replacement.

what a crock of sh*t 5 start dealer.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 03:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK I'm back. The problem came back and it wasn't the brakes. I'm now so disgusted at this car I want to dump it at the stealership that fixed the car.

When I go above 60mph+, the shimmy and thumping starts, gets even worse when I have to go slight right at high speed. The dealership did not replace the right half axle shaft. Since it's still under the 7/70 powertrain warranty, should I just go and get it replaced?

I would be out of ideas if that doesn't fix it. Any mechanics in metro Detroit area you guys can recommend?

Thanks!
Old 17 Jul 2008, 06:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Unless the car is lowered more than a couple inches, I've not heard of a CV going bad without a torn boot. I'm at a loss. I think it's one of those things you'd have to get under the car and check yourself including all steering linkages and trim and such. Mechanics are a dime a dozen because of stuff like this. Most don't want to put proper attention to pleasing the customer, so will just throw money at the problem until it's fixed.