PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Something's busted -- right front undercarriage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2008, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Something's busted -- right front undercarriage

Good morning,
To make a long story short, last night I ran over a pretty big rock after my 2003 manual 5-speed PT Cruiser with four-wheel disc brakes slipped off the road. After having it pulled out by some cops with a 4WD SUV, we noticed a pretty big oil stain from where the car had been. I looked at the undercarriage/chassis it today in better light -- still a minor oil drip near the inside, and some rod right on the inside right front tire going to the back of the car looks busted. Again, the oil leak hasn't been all to terrible since losing it last night, we pushed the car back and it did not leave a big trail ...

Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened, what needs repairing, and pretty much most importantly, a range of what a job like this can cost? Thanks for helping out a non-expert ... Elliot
Old 05 Jan 2008, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Something's busted -- right front undercarriage

hi welcome and sorry your second post is such a bad one , i know it might be a pain anyway to take pics and post them of under the car that would help alot
Old 05 Jan 2008, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

here is a picture of the damage. the way it looks it doesn't look like anything's TOO messed up, visible damage seems to be a plastic-looking cover on the right-side? also, since it's no longer dripping insane oil it must've run dry last night after the crash.
if this attachment doesn't work just let me know.

thanks, Elliot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0079.jpg (29.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 05 Jan 2008, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Elliot,

The picture is too dark and small to see any detail.

We can all guess at what you bent, broke or tore up but the easiest way is just get it to any shop that does repair and have them take at look at it.

Oil is only in one place, your pan. You could have knocked a hole in the side and when the the oil was low enough, it stopped leaking or hit the oil filter so it's leaking from where it screws on. Sounds like you didn't drive the car. Did you start it up and see if the leak gets worse. Check the oil level before starting it.

Can't think of any rod that goes to the back of the car. Are you sure you didn't knock off the front sway bar from the right side and now it's pointing back towards the rear instead of going over to the left side?
Old 05 Jan 2008, 01:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

you need to get the car up on jackstands and get teh wheel off. get some good pics and as crewzin said..bigger pics. right now i am seeing alot of cars with damage because they went off the road. Chances are itll be cheaper to take it to a reputable body shop and have them fix it. a lot of times your deductable will be less than the cost of doing it yourself, and with suspension and oilpans that cost could be pretty high.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

did you find out whats wrong with the car ??
Old 10 Jan 2008, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey, not yet. Came down with a friend the day after I posted to volunteer in New Orleans with Common Ground for a little less than two weeks ... was really looking forward to the drive but took the bus instead. when I get home and take it to a shop I'll definitely let you know. thanks for checking in, Elliot