PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel Bearings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2008, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Wheel Bearings

Hi all,

I have been getting a grinding noise from the front left tire recently (especially on cold mornings). As far as I can tell the bearings have gone bad and need to be replaced. According to everything that I have read there is a wheel bearing and a hub bearing that should be replaced; however when calling the local parts stores they find a listing for the wheel bearing but not the hub bearing. My question is are there two bearings on the front wheels (wheel and hub bearing) or just one? Am I on the right track with the front end noise? I have a 03 with 74,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 13 Jan 2008, 05:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel Bearings

The wheel bearing is in the hub. Some vehicles the bearing is sold separately from the hub and others the hub with the bearing is sold as a unit.

I did a quick search on the online parts store and the front bearing is sold separately from the hub. The rear bearings are sold as hub and bearing assembly. That may be the source of your confusion.

You will likely need a hydraulic press to get the old one out and the new one in.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 02:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Nity9CavSedanCRJ

I've noticed a nice little shimmy and a nice howling noise on the very cold mornings myself. I did a tranny flush with new filter and changed the oil this past saturday. I check the wheels for play and the driver side was solid but the passenger had some top to bottom and side to side play. Maybe 3/8th play. I'm only at 47K miles on my 03 Limited and i shouldn't have a bad wheel bearing yet. Is this a typical chrysler issue and should get rid of this thing ASAP? I'm already not happy i have to press these bearings in and out unlike my other car.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 06:39 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nity9CavSedanCRJ View Post
I'm already not happy i have to press these bearings in and out unlike my other car.
The vast majority of FWD cars require the front wheel bearings to be pressed out and in. Some have a bolt in hub bearing assembly but that design costs three or more times just the bearing.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 12:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Nity9CavSedanCRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
The vast majority of FWD cars require the front wheel bearings to be pressed out and in. Some have a bolt in hub bearing assembly but that design costs three or more times just the bearing.
Yea, my cavalier is a whole hub assembly. Pricey yes, but i can change them in 30 min per side.

Old 28 Jan 2009, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ive got an 03 pt cruiser classic and the things been a bear since i bought it, at 41,000 i have to replace the upper and lower motor mounts, at 66,437 i had to change out the throttle body due to a cheap part put on there at the dealer, and now at only 75,286 i have to change out the front wheel bearings which by all means is a pain on this car, especially when you dont have a hydraulic press, but ive found someone to press in the bearings for me which is good, but my other question for whomever may know is that if i should get the a cheapy wheel bearring or go with the roller wheel bearrings. i dont want to spend alot of money on this project but i dont want to get so cheap it happens again, i found some bearrings that are rollers and they are $40 a piece made by tiemken, now granted i know i bought this car used for $9000 but after doing all this stuff to this crappily produced car i feel like ive gotten ripped off by yet again another dealership. or should i say yet again another person just trying to make a BUCK!!!!!!