Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
LOOSE LUGS??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2008, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unhappy LOOSE LUGS??

Anybody else having trouble with wheel lugs working loose?-The first time, I thought that someone was tryin' to steal my performance tires & aluminum wheels.
**Yesterday, again, this time with the OEM wheels & tires, the front driver's side lugs were working loose, giving me a lot of vibration - this time vibration worst when the brakes were applied. I did the wheel swap and tightening with a "Cross" wrench myself - so no mistake in leaving them loose. But, I don't like having to rubber hammer the lug wrench after the shops use the impact wrench.
Is this a problem with any other Cruisers out there?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 01:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: LOOSE LUGS??

Frank,

I try to never let anyone touch the wheels on my Vette or PT but if they ever have to, I always loosen them all when I get home and use my torque wrench set at 100 ft lbs to tighten them back down again. As with all aftermarket chrome wheels, it's always a good idea to look at them again at 1000 miles after the initial time. Almost all manufactuers tell you do do this.

To answer your original question, No, never had them come loose by themselves.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 03:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never had a problem withe either my '02 over 97,000 miles, or my '05, now with about 60,000 miles - both with 16" aluminum wheels.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jan 2008, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: LOOSE LUGS??

Thanks guys...
"It's just me, I guess"!
Old 17 Jan 2008, 04:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Anybody else having trouble with wheel lugs working loose?-The first time, I thought that someone was tryin' to steal my performance tires & aluminum wheels.
**Yesterday, again, this time with the OEM wheels & tires, the front driver's side lugs were working loose, giving me a lot of vibration - this time vibration worst when the brakes were applied. I did the wheel swap and tightening with a "Cross" wrench myself - so no mistake in leaving them loose. But, I don't like having to rubber hammer the lug wrench after the shops use the impact wrench.
Is this a problem with any other Cruisers out there?
Go to Pep Boys Or ebay and get yourself a $20.00 click type torque wrench, these studs will pop off with to much torque and you never know how tight you really tighten them with a "Cross Wrench" as they should be tightened to 95 to 105 ft lbs, (100 ft-pounds is ideal), and it will take a 24 to 36" breaker bar and socket to get them off. and you also won't warp the rotors by having some lugs tighter than the others.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 17 Jan 2008, 11:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wink Re: LOOSE LUGS??

Thanks again Cruisers!
(Me just "Boy Cruiser")