Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
front suspension noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2008, 11:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default front suspension noise

I have a 2003 GT with 95K miles. In the last few months a heavy metallic clunk comes from under the front of the car when going over bumps. The bigger the bump, the louder the noise. The noise can be felt through the floor and gas pedal, not the steering wheel. The front end was just aligned and everything checked out.

Can anyone give me some direction as to what I can check next?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03 Feb 2008, 04:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: front suspension noise

get the car up in the air and check all the suspension bolts, motor mounts, cradle bolts,end links, etc. also check for broken exhaust hangers, and loose spare tire bracket.
Old 03 Feb 2008, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i agree with cartman
Old 04 Feb 2008, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

I've had the same described problem so if it's like mine, we have a problem with the swaybar linkage breaking which causes the swaybar to hang down and as you make a turn in a certain direction either left or right depending on which linkage is broken (driver or passenager side) and when you go over big bumps it will hit something and make the clunking noise you hear.

So my suggestion is the same as Cartman's, to look underneath the car from the front and look at the sway bar and see if it's hanging down at either end where it attaches to the control arm. If it's hanging down, you have found your problem.

On mine we had the lower control arm bushings replaced which means they have to also take the swaybar off, that was time number one. Then about 3 weeks after that the linkage/bolt broke and they replaced it, time number 2! And now it's broken again several months later!! I've put my call into the dealership and I'm still awaiting their call back!! Mine is a '06 with, you guessed it, out of warranty now about 40K miles on it. So if yours lasted till 95K you're doing a heck of a lot better than I!
Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I also have that noise. My mechanic said that I need new sway links. I don't know how expensive it is but I hate that noise. In addition to that I have a tock tock noise in the driver's front tire. My mechanic can't seem to find that problem.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

Seems like we all have those little noises from time to time. I noticed that when I stop at a light or something, my foot on the brake, as I start up it creeks. When I go over bumps it makes noises. I'm being lead to believe that it could be the bushings. Going to the dealer this week to see what he has to say.
Old 05 Apr 2010, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My wife's 05 GT Conv. clunks as well.
I'll will check the sway bar end links. If they are bad I might just replace them with these energy suspension bits
Energy Suspension 5.8105 Front Sway Bar End Links - Dodge Neon / PT Cruiser
Old 23 Apr 2010, 07:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMIEIW View Post
Seems like we all have those little noises from time to time. I noticed that when I stop at a light or something, my foot on the brake, as I start up it creeks. When I go over bumps it makes noises. I'm being lead to believe that it could be the bushings. Going to the dealer this week to see what he has to say.
Heey!

Have you discovered what it was? Im having the exact same problem!