Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New wheels - look good, but problem with brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Feb 2008, 08:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default New wheels - look good, but problem with brakes

OK. First the good. Bought some TSW Sakata 5 wheels and Falken Ziex 912 215/50/17 for my car. The wheels look awesome (look similar to stock GT wheels but with a 1.5" polished lip) and the tires ride great ... much better than the stock Goodyear crap 15's. And the slightly taller than stock height actually makes my speedo accurate according to all the radar stations on the road around here. Only thing is they weight like 50lbs a corner, but this is a boulevard cruiser, not a pocket rocket.

My problem was the day after I installed them, I went to install some Satisfied Ceramic brake pads up front to prevent dusting and to get a better than stock brake performance. The stock pads blow IMO. Anyways, after installing the calipers, the calipers push into the wheel spokes and the wheel won't turn. I had to put the stock pads back on just to drive my car home.

My solution (as I love to tear up brand new cars) is to take off the sliding half of the caliper and grind a few millimeters off the faces that are grinding, then caliper paint them. Or else I guess it's spacers. I've never done spacers though, so I don't know if I'll need new lug studs or not (which would be a huge PITA). What has everyone else done to solve this problem, and how many MM clearance am I going to need to get to fully clear the wheels do you all think from experience?

Thanks.

Last edited by lakersfan1; 18 Feb 2008 at 12:11 pm.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 10:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: New wheels - look good, but problem with brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersfan1 View Post
OK. First the good. Bought some TSW Sakata 5 wheels and Falken Ziex 912 215/50/17 for my car.
The wheels look great on your car....

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 19 Feb 2008, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New wheels - look good, but problem with brakes

wheels look great !!