Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sway bars worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2008, 03:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Sway bars worth it?

Hi everyone, here's my question... I bought a strut tower bar sometime ago and I definately noticed a difference in handling. I was wondering if any of you super savvy PT'ers had any input whether or not sway bars would have a significant impact on handling? Please advise on whether I should save my cash or invest? Thank you in advance!
Old 31 Mar 2008, 04:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Re: Sway bars worth it?

Speaking of which I need my Sway Bar link replaced

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 31 Mar 2008, 04:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEFIEND View Post
Hi everyone, here's my question... I bought a strut tower bar sometime ago and I definately noticed a difference in handling. I was wondering if any of you super savvy PT'ers had any input whether or not sway bars would have a significant impact on handling? Please advise on whether I should save my cash or invest? Thank you in advance!
Aftermarket sway bars are are great addition for better handling.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 31 Mar 2008, 07:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm only adding a rear for now when I get around to putting my coilovers on. The stock bar is thicker than the aftermarket bars (though probably a lower grade of steel, but probably close to equal of aftermarkets that fact taken into consideration.)

Rear is the most sensible first addition anyways, as this is the way to fix understeer on a front wheel drive car. The one I ordered is adjustable, so I should be able to dial in neutrality.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 09:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersfan1 View Post
I'm only adding a rear for now when I get around to putting my coilovers on. The stock bar is thicker than the aftermarket bars (though probably a lower grade of steel, but probably close to equal of aftermarkets that fact taken into consideration.)

Rear is the most sensible first addition anyways, as this is the way to fix understeer on a front wheel drive car. The one I ordered is adjustable, so I should be able to dial in neutrality.
Everyone I know of who has installed aftermarket sway bars like Progress and Eibach have been very happy with the aftermarket ones. Interesting you think the stock bars are thicker.

What year is your PT as starting in '03 the PT came witthout any rear sway bar? Adding a rear sway bar on a '03 on up means you have to buy the fasteners to install.

Old 31 Mar 2008, 10:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Everyone I know of who has installed aftermarket sway bars like Progress and Eibach have been very happy with the aftermarket ones. Interesting you think the stock bars are thicker.

What year is your PT as starting in '03 the PT came witthout any rear sway bar? Adding a rear sway bar on a '03 on up means you have to buy the fasteners to install.

The front from what I've read stock is 26mm, all the aftermarket ones seem to be 25mm. Regardless, to fix oversteer you up the rear sway. Being most of us don't have one at all, adding any rear bar is bonus. The one I ordered is 20mm, but I've seen various sizes smaller and bigger than that.

For the rear kit, I found a place with the Eibach kit for $65. I thought about the stock kit at about the same price, but I figured the Eibach kit would have upgraded bushings in it already ... yes?
Old 01 Apr 2008, 01:17 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersfan1 View Post
The front from what I've read stock is 26mm, all the aftermarket ones seem to be 25mm. Regardless, to fix oversteer you up the rear sway. Being most of us don't have one at all, adding any rear bar is bonus. The one I ordered is 20mm, but I've seen various sizes smaller and bigger than that.

For the rear kit, I found a place with the Eibach kit for $65. I thought about the stock kit at about the same price, but I figured the Eibach kit would have upgraded bushings in it already ... yes?
Not sure about the upgraded bushings. You would hope so. You can always check out Energy Suspension. Their poly bushings are excellent.

Old 29 May 2008, 08:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have an '06 PT (base model)....I have had 4...YES 4 sway bar linkages break!!!!!! I've had the dealership replace 3 of them already and this 4th time just happened yesterday, the same one they've already replaced 2 times now!!! The car is out of warranty and last time they fought with me basically telling me we had to be driving the car off road for it to break which of course we're not - they are regular paved roads!!!!!

So I'm on my own to repair this one. I just got off the phone with Napa and the bushings are about $12 and the repair kit is about $23 so it's not a lot of money but what a PITA!!!!!! I have ZERO confidence in that dealership!

Questions:

1) Does anybody else have this problem???? Sounds like ucantcme does

2) Any mechanics on here?? Could you please tell me what the torque specs are for tightening the bolts on it are?
Old 29 May 2008, 10:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Us this the front or rear sway linkage? If it's the front, I'd make sure the sway bar bushings are lubed .... then get Energy Suspension linkage.

If it's the rear, I'd take a look at a replacement linkage. Possibly the Mopar Performance or Eibach linkages. Also, I was looking at possibly a shorter bar that might fit. From tooling around, two looked interesting. One was an older BMW linkage and another was a Dodge Caravan linkage. Both looked beefier and shorter than the Cruiser linkage as well as the same style ..... don't know the bolt hole diameters though.
Old 09 Jun 2008, 02:41 am
Young Cruiser

Yes its worth it and like you said it does/will make a significant impact on handling!

The OEM sway bar kit can be had for $139.95:
2001-2004 PT Cruiser OEM Rear Sway Bar Package