Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Front Strut Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2008, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Front Strut Question

My front suspension feels like it's close to bottoming out, and I've noticed some wheel hop. There is no abnormal tire wear. Based on what I know, I think I need new front struts. Anyone have a feel for what new struts on the front of a 2002 touring model will cost? The car does not sit real low in the front, so I'm hoping the springs are OK, as the problem just recently started.

Thanks...
Old 03 Apr 2008, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Front Strut Question

If you do a Google search for "PT Cruiser struts", there's tons of ads for them. Seems like the going price is about $60 each. You'll surely want to have the springs professionally taken off the old struts and added to the new ones. That's a job that can do your injury if done wrong. I found a shop that changed them and put them on the car $50. Then you have to have a front end alignment which will be anywhere from $70 - $100 and if that's never been done, you'll need the front end alignment kit (consists of two specialty bolts) and runs about $30.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Apr 2008 at 06:28 pm.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I bought a set of 2 Gabriel struts and 2 gabriel shocks for my PT on Ebay for 200 bucks delivered from the states to my house in Canada.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 12:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same problem. I got a price from Monro.. 752.00 for struts and shocks all around, less a 72.00 mail-in rebate. I presume the dealer price would be more.

I took the car to another mechanic who indicated that it needed bushings in the front end also, and identified some engine seal leaks as well. With the potential of well over a thousand dollars in repairs, and the over stated mileage estimates right from the beginning, I just traded it in on a Prius based purely on the economics of keeping it. I really liked the car, and it still ran great without even so must as tire wear given the front end problems, but like you stated, it felt like it was bottoming out.

My suggestion is to have the car looked at by a good mechanic and get an non biased opinion. My Pt had 66,000 miles on it.

Keith

See Selling My Cruiser

Last edited by Gottasmilealot; 21 Apr 2008 at 12:21 pm. Reason: Added link...