Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lifting a PT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2008, 09:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Lifting a PT?

Hi, all. My first post here, and I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

I'm interested in lifting my cruiser. I live in Canada in the country, and would like some extra ground clearance for rough roads and the odd snowstorm, so was wondering about maximum tire diameter, and springs/struts that could gain me a few inches and are bolt-ons. Please note that with regard to tires, I see off a tire size calculator that one can go almost 26" diam and 4" width. What I'm concerned with is max diameter and minimum width to achieve height but maintain turning/suspension clearance.

Just bought a convertible, standard 05 today.

My old Toyota Echo with Nokian WRX's didn't have much problem, so I don't expect any from a stock PT either. Just looking to see if the option is there. Also wondering if anyone here has experience with the nokians on their PT's? I found them to be an excellent all round tire on the toyota.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Badger; 07 Apr 2008 at 09:34 pm.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 12:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Lifting a PT?

You might want to find if you could get the suspension off of something like a Dynasty or maybe and LH bodied car to work, as they had lots of suspension movement. I guess take measurements and then head to a junkyard. I know guys with Jeep Patriots can get a lift that consists of "blocks" that just go under the coils. They're just spacers, but you may run into problems with strut and shock length. You'd also have to get a front end alignment done afterwards.

The biggest thing I would recommend is a good winter tire. The PT isn't that terribly low, my buddies Jetta is lower. He runs snow tires and has no problem. I try to run my old Dynasty in the winter which has more ground clearance than some SUV's! I run Cooper Weathermaster ST2's with studs on all corners as does my buddy with his Jetta. Both cars do good in snow, so unless you're in hard snow ground clearence isn't that terribly critical in my opinion. The biggest downfall to the PT is the shape of the front end. It scoops snow and then it goes over the hood and up the windshield. You'll find that visibility is an issue in deep snow.

Also try to find a narrow tire for deep snow as that will cut through easier. I run 185/75/14's on my Dynasty. That's a fair bit narrower than the 205's on the PT. I'd say a good set of studded snow tires and you're good to go.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 12 Apr 2008, 02:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Lifting a PT?

Thanks for the advice.

I took delivery of my car today, and it looks like it has the same clearance as my Echo so I should be ok. Looking at the suspension in person, and thinking about what I need, probably getting some custom springs made would probably be the best option.

Thanks again!

Ed.