PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stock Chrome Wheels - constant leaks - replacements?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2008, 02:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stock Chrome Wheels - constant leaks - replacements?

Hi all, NY owner of a Black 01 PT LE with 55k miles....

Bought my PT in '06, since then I've dealt with the not-so-slow air leaks due to the flaking, corroding chrome plated wheels that came with the car. Not understanding the depth of the problem, I just bought new tires, but am still dealing with the leaks. I have to get air atleast once a week. It's horrible AND scary reading about the possibility of catastrophic tire failure - especially now that I have a baby that I'm toting around....

Anyway, I realize that the only way to cure this is to get new rims (reluctantly because I just had a baby and $ is tight). I've done some cheap minor mods since I bought the car - it's black so I've added a few pieces of chrome trim, small flames and a chrome flame antenna. I would like to continue with the chrome details and the rims add to that look. I do not, however, want to get another set of chrome wheels to only have to replace them again due to them degrading. I live in NYC (salted roads in the winter) and am not really interested in having to switch out my tires summer/winter.

Can anyone give any advice on what look/type of wheel I should go for...?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stock Chrome Wheels - constant leaks - replacements?

Welcome to the forum.

If money is tight, forget about new wheels and work on the wheels you have. Find a tire place you can trust and pay to have all 4 wheels and tires taken off and sanded smooth around the area that the tires seal. It would be a small pain, but if you have a hose anywhere around where you park, try giving each wheel a quick rinse after you've been out in any kind of roads that they might have thrown salt on. Even a bucket with a sponge and clean water will do the trick of getting the salt off the edges of the wheel. The thing is to start with a clean sanded non leaking wheel.