Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Touring Edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2008, 06:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question 2006 Touring Edition

This cruiser is great except for the handling. I've been reading that front/rear sway bars could improve handling. Mopar or Eibach front and rear sway bar kits? Will this help with cornering? Please help...

Thanks,

PH
Old 07 May 2008, 06:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Touring Edition

it cant hurt thats for sure
Old 08 May 2008, 12:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Touring Edition

I just did sway bars on my 07. Put H&R on the rear and Progress on the front. The H&R is only 20mm, but has got to be the best built unit on the market. Made of spring steel and the powdercoat is immaculate with a gold flake in the paint. German made quality. Helped in cornering, but not quite enough to push it into oversteer. Very neutral feeling.

I ordered the Progress for the front. At 27mm, it's second in size only to the ST bar at 28mm. Visibly the Progress bar didn't look bigger than the stock bar, which goes along with what I've read that the stock is 26mm. The Progress was very beefy and well built, but with more basic steel than the H&R and a cheaper looking powdercoat. Personally, I wouldn't have replaced the front bar if it didn't bother me that the stock sway bar was the only rusted thing on my car ..... it was completely rusted when I bought the car new with 25 miles on it. I couldn't imagine what it'd look like after a few years on it. The Progress bar was cheap, beefy, and American made.

If I had to do it again, I might have bought a Progress front and rear set just to get a little bigger rear bar and to buy all American made .... but I'm by no means unhappy with having bought the H&R rear. But I got it dirt cheap from Tirerack at $140 for some H&R sale they had. If I had to pay the full price on it, I don't think it would have been worth the added money just for having something fancy .... you're just going to put it under your car and never see it unless your car is on the lift.

For the rear sway bar install kit, just get the stock Mopar kit from Wykoff Chrylser online. The stock bushings are plenty stiff. The Eibach kit is on backorder anyways, and with my experience with Eibach, thier stuff is on backorder for a loooong time. There's also a Mopar Performance rear sway install kit for $120 but I don't know what the benefit of that kit is.
Old 08 May 2008, 05:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: 2006 Touring Edition

Thanks a bunch for the input. I'm going to go with the your suggestions its seems logical and cost effective.