Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Airbags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2008, 07:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Airbags

I found an airbag kit for the PT and was looking into doing it. I need input from anyone who has done this before, any tips or tricks would really help. I have spoken to my brother about this and he recommended seeing if i could fit the compressor and tank under the car because they are noisy. I have also heard about putting the blocks under the car so that the body work will not touch the ground if I accidentally lower the car too much. Any input will be appreciated!!!

Last edited by PTmodrod; 18 May 2008 at 10:07 am.
Old 18 May 2008, 10:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Airbags

Bump

I really need some help here guys...

Here is a rough estimation of what it would look like bagged:

Last edited by PTmodrod; 18 May 2008 at 10:16 am.
Old 05 Jun 2008, 03:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to AlexJB

I'm sure there is someone here that has had it done but maybe not done the work themselves.

I helped a buddy do a car in the UK and with the PT being coil over shock at the front and seperate coils at the back it would be similar.

I looked at several kits and the easiest of them is probably air ride's complete replacement for the shock/spring at the front and an airspring at the back.
If you've don a bit of work on cars before and you have garage space, 2 trolly jacks and 4 stands, plus usual tools you should be fine. mage sure you clip the plastic air hose near any points where you have to take it through the body or buy plastic grommets, you don't want to wer through it and get stranded.
Also make sure the bags don't touch anything when you pancake then start to raise it up, this happened to my buddy, when flat on the ground the bags were clear but as the bag expanded a little when increasing the pressure it rubbed the shock just a little, 3 months later an a blown bag.

Your tank is going to have to go in the car unless yo can buy a Donut snaped tank that's small enough to go in the place of your spare wheel, this s a neat set up if you can fit it, but the volume of the tank may be lower than the torpedo shaped ones and this means your compressur will have to be rated for a higher duty cycle.
If you can afford it, upgrade the lines to 3/8" and buy the larger dump valves, air systems are never going to compete with hydraulics for speed but with 1/4" lines my buddy's merc was slow to lift regardless of weather the tank was up to pressure or not.

The compressors are noisy but mounting it outside the car will probably reduce it's life, I'd suggest getting some pretey soft isolation mounts and mount it in the storage bin space in the left side of the trunk (unless you have the mopar sub there ofcourse).
This will leave it in a semi accessible place if you need to get to it but will allow you to put sound deadening in also... not too much and not directly touching it, they do get quite hot if you're using the system a lot.

Finaly don't work about adding blocks, the PT has bump stops in the rear which you can cut down to allow the bags to get you as low as possible for parking, driving most of the kits are set to give you normal comfort levels at 1-2" lower than stock, if you want to ride lower it will be harsher (but look much cooler)
Old 05 Jun 2008, 04:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

By the way, love the smooth roll pan.

But you should photshop some retro moonies with white walls on with it slammed
or even 15" wires, it would look way cool with retro wheels.

I'd love to slam mine but the 20's won't fit in the rear arches without a whole load of chopin.
Old 06 Jun 2008, 04:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Take a look at this complete kit...
I've seen cheaper but this looks like a good system with everything you need.

eBay Motors: FBSS AIR RIDE SUSPENSION KIT 01 06 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER (item 330235742660 end time Jun-11-08 03:09:21 PDT)
Old 06 Jun 2008, 05:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok here is the kit that you want to buy complete with rear shocks!
Airbagit.com

BTW my cruiser is fully bagged and yes I did the install myself.
Old 07 Jun 2008, 06:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I had already found a couple of kits, one of which you guys showed me and I was planning on doing the work myself. I have quite a lot of experience working on this car as I have done all of the custom stuff personally, can you tell I don't trust shops? I have the mopar sub, so that is not a viable location for the compressor, but I do not mind using the trunk. My original plan for the car was to go for a led sled look with the white walls, smoothies, flat black paint etc... but I decided to go for a more "street" look. Thanks for all the help guys. It may be a bit before i buy the kit I am looking at, but when I do, I will post and give you guys some credit for the help!
Old 12 Jun 2008, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PTmod can I bug you for links to the bag set up you've found and where can I find the roll pan? SiCK!

Thanks.

Far as an install I don't see why the comp. can't go under the hood?
With most after market filters there's plenty of room. IDK inside doesnt sound good to me...
Tanks.?..loose the spare and 3/4 torpedo's.
K&N Drop in.
InDash Pioneer DVD Stereo

Our Photography
Old 14 Jun 2008, 07:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCrewzR View Post
PTmod can I bug you for links to the bag set up you've found and where can I find the roll pan? SiCK!

Thanks.

Far as an install I don't see why the comp. can't go under the hood?
With most after market filters there's plenty of room. IDK inside doesnt sound good to me...
Tanks.?..loose the spare and 3/4 torpedo's.
I agree about the tank idea, and I never thought about under the hood... Brilliant! The rollpan is a California Cruisers part, so be very careful if you are going to order one. Most people have heard the horror stories, even I did, but i decided to risk it anyway. It was hell like everyone says, but i got it in the end! Thank you for the complement!

The bag setup is here:
2001-2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser <br>Combo Air Suspension Kit <br>Combo Kits Include Front Kit, Rear Kit and 4 Path Air Management System <br>[MP# 85749]

At least.. that was the one I was looking at.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 08:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wow that airbag set up is STEEP! I've 'pieced' together a kit for around $900.
Firestone rear bags $200 , Front air strut 300 (some mods needed) ,and tank,pump,controller for 400. I still gotta get some $$$ together but by summers end I should have the set up in place and will post it's parts and progress.
K&N Drop in.
InDash Pioneer DVD Stereo

Our Photography