Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stock 06 touring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2008, 12:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Stock 06 touring

I've been readin about suspension since this ride is kinda sloppy. I would like a nice ride for distance and in town. Any recommendations? Mopar stage3? Eibach coilover? What is a coil over vs springs? Thank you in advance for input
Old 14 May 2008, 06:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Stock 06 touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by discovering06 View Post
I've been readin about suspension since this ride is kinda sloppy. I would like a nice ride for distance and in town. Any recommendations? Mopar stage3? Eibach coilover? What is a coil over vs springs? Thank you in advance for input
A 'coilover' setup usually refers to a complete setup of stuts AND springs but the struts have a threaded colar on them that allow you to lower and raise the vehicle. On the PT, since the rear is shocks and not struts, the threaded colar just sits between the spring and rear axle. Most coilover setups for the PT Cruiser will run $1100-$1300 unless you find one on a firesale.

To you, what is 'sloppy' about the suspension? Are you saying it's sloppy over bumps, or is it 'sloppy' while making turns? Personally, I thought the turn performance was bad on my 07, whereas the straightline comfort was fine. The only reason I added coilovers was because the car was sitting as high as a truck and it looked gay IMO. So the addition of a rear rollbar was the only thing I did specifically to 'improve' the ride.
Old 15 May 2008, 02:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Cool Re: Stock 06 touring

I agree the turning in this PT causes a lot of body roll, especially when driving in rainy conditions. I wish the rear was a tad lower in addition. What would you advise the first thing I shoould try, rear sway bar?

Thanks,

PT06 touring
Old 15 May 2008, 02:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah. Try a rear sway bar first. You'll need an install kit since the 03+ don't have them, but the later cars still have the provisional holes to add one.

Order kit without bar or bushings here: 2001-2004 PT Cruiser OEM Rear Sway Bar Package $60

Then, pick whatever rear bar. Progress and Suspension Techniques make some of the thicker bars for the PT, and are usually the cheapest. About $140 shipped for the bar.

See what that does first. It'll not only make turning better, it'll firm up the rear suspension a little because it'll tie the left and right sides together, thus two springs and stuts will be acting more like one unit that without the sway bar.

The front sway bar is pretty big stock. In the 25 or 26mm range since I couldn't even tell a noticable difference visibly from the 27mm bar I bought for the front. So I'd leave the front alone unless it was an asthetics problem as the front bar is usually rusted.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:58 am
Regular Cruiser

Thank you, can I use that kit for a 2006 cruiser?