PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Front end noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2008, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Front end noise

Hello everyone, I am new this forum but not new to PT Cruisers. I have a 02 Dream Cruiser but my question is on another Cruiser that I just purchased for another family member. My Dream Cruiser has 39K miles and the 03 I just purchased has 92K miles. There is a knock from somewhere in the front end when hitting bumps. I have been told that it's a good possibility the struts needs to be replaced. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I have done most of my own work over the years but if it comes to specialty tools sometimes I just take it to a mechanic and let them do the work.
Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

mheff
Old 15 Nov 2009, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Front end noise

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same symptoms and from what i have read in the forum, the best guess would be to check on the conditon of the anti-roll bar bushings. Good Luck with your car!
Old 15 Nov 2009, 08:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheff View Post
Hello everyone, I am new this forum but not new to PT Cruisers. I have a 02 Dream Cruiser but my question is on another Cruiser that I just purchased for another family member. My Dream Cruiser has 39K miles and the 03 I just purchased has 92K miles. There is a knock from somewhere in the front end when hitting bumps. I have been told that it's a good possibility the struts needs to be replaced. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I have done most of my own work over the years but if it comes to specialty tools sometimes I just take it to a mechanic and let them do the work.
Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

mheff
If it seems like a "bonk" coming from somewhere near your feet, it could be control arm bushings. At 93 K miles it could be a lot of things, maybe all of them.
Old 15 Nov 2009, 09:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bushings!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Nov 2009, 12:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Say it is bushings...can anyone list what they have spent on such repairs and their experience....just curious what i am facing on my 2003 PT TOURING with 91,000 miles...I also have rattle under my floor board and the seem to go through the center also....I will know more tomorrow when I have a mechanic look at it...
Just curious, about estimates...

Thanks!
Mike
Old 16 Nov 2009, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Bushings themselves aren't expensive - it's the labor. A dealer doesn't replace the bushings usually, they sell you new part with bushings in place, and swap out whole part.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Nov 2009, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Squirt WD-40 or some other water displacement "stuff" around the hangers and see what that does. I took our other PT to the dealer and I think that is what they did, no more noise.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Nov 2009, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Squirt WD-40 or some other water displacement "stuff" around the hangers and see what that does. I took our other PT to the dealer and I think that is what they did, no more noise.
Hmm... I'll have to try this in my GF's car. I thought it'd be the ball joints making that noise, but it doesn't really do it on turns. It's pretty much just with bumps. I'm still going to check out the ball joints though.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 09:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Can someone take a picture or at least direct me in the proper direction as to where the control arm bushings are? I have a general idea of where I think they should be, but I don't want to get under there with the WD40 and not know what to "squirt".
Old 18 Nov 2009, 10:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Your noise could be lots of things. I just had my 04 GT in a shop to look at all of the frunt end stuff and everything was OK. I have a loud bang, once in a while when I hit a small bump. Only every couple of days though. They could not fine anything wrong. Said it might just be a body panel poping, no big deal. I had an 01 PT that broke a bolt on the frunt frame that made the same kind of sound that I replaced and everything was OK then.