PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Anything better than Bridgestone Blizzaks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2008, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anything better than Bridgestone Blizzaks?

I am ready to take the plunge and drop a significant amt of $$$ into snow tires for my 2005 PT Cruiser Limited Edition Turbo Convertible. Last year was my first winter driving it and I was horrendously horrified with the first snowflake. Any suggestions appreciated. I want to be safe and confident this winter. Thanks
Old 19 Oct 2008, 11:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Anything better than Bridgestone Blizzaks?

Have you tried Blizzaks or are just asking someone that has ran them and another tire? I unfortunately haven't but run Cooper Weathermaster tires on my cars during winter. I haven't tried them on my PT yet, but will be buying a set this month. They do very well on snow, and decent on ice. They are very good on ice with studs, but I probably won't do that this time around as studs are only good for about one winter, then most of them have been ripped out.

Good snow tires make all the difference in winter. I really like the Coopers, but I'm sure there are plenty of tires that will really help. The only thing I'd be insistent about is to not drive all season in winter. That's just plain dangerous!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have not used any tire on the PT except that all seasons that came my car. What I do know is that I can not control the PT on snow at all and I live in PA. I had a grand am that would hug a side of a mountain on ice at 75mph. This was so scary driving. I have heard blizzaks are great but of course I want more assurance than a sales person. Thanks!
Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Nokkian Hakkapletta tires are the best, and of course they cost a bundle compared with Bridgestones.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 06:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaschief View Post
Nokkian Hakkapletta tires are the best, and of course they cost a bundle compared with Bridgestones.
+1

Premium choice.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How much more than $600 for four are they? I am more concerned about confidence in the snow than price. Thanks!
Old 19 Oct 2008, 10:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have 4 Blizzak like new tires on 16"steel rims hanging on my wall.....I will probably get rid of them as my car is winter parked. But I live in Canada
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 20 Oct 2008, 08:09 am
Young Cruiser

I too, like the Cooper weathermasters.Will be putting 4 on for the winter soon.Good price,less than $400 mounted and balanced and installed.Been thinking about studding them also.Wanted to park it for the winter(upstate ny) but the SS 454 chevelle is really bad in the snow
Old 20 Oct 2008, 09:41 am
Cool Cruiser

I suggest you to buy a set of steel wheels to put these winter tires on. You'll save money in the long run, you'll too save time and preserve the finish of your mags.

I'd look for 4x 16" steelies with higher aspect ratio tires. Why? Because the tires will then cost less, give you smoother ride and, most important thing, they will be narrower, which is a great thing for a winter tire.

But be sure that the wheels fit well with the bigger disks of your GT.

That being said, another great winter tire is the Pirelli Winter Carving.
Old 22 Oct 2008, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Where do you get stock 15" rims at a good price? What other rims fit from other cars will work? I might check out my local salvage yard if I know what to look for.