Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
wheel noise and suspension banging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2009, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default wheel noise and suspension banging

I have noticed that when I go over potholes or bumps in the road a knocking noise comes from the front of the PT.Also when I go over 30mph a loud continuous noise comes from the front wheel area. Can any one suggest possible remidies or causes? Thanks gbcruiser
Old 17 Jan 2009, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: wheel noise and suspension banging

I started noticing the same noise on my '04 (70,000 mi.) a few months ago. I was told I needed lower control arms ($800). I got a second opinion that I just needed bushings ($300). I did that, and it was quiet for a month, but came back worse than ever (or maybe it was just more snow, ice and potholes in December Chicago). Took it back to the same place and they said I needed struts ($300). That was today, and I got a bad feeling on the way home that I was still hearing that knocking sound.
I realize this doesn't answer any questions for you, just thought I'd share. And if anyone has any more info, I'd sure be interested.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 08:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Noise over the internet is hard to diagnose but all we can say is that the bushings for the control arm, front wheel bearings and the CV joint are all causes for front end noise. If I had to guess, I'd say your problem as the post above ... bushings.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 10:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin and PTneon, after closer inspection found out that the sway bar(known as the anti roll bar here in the UK) rubbers had gone and the wheel bearing(will replace both sides).Will be replacing them at a cost of around 400 and my local garage.Cheapest wheel bearings so far 30 each and sway bar rubbers 9.99 a pair good value??.Hopefully this will cure the problem! Carry on Cruzin!!!
Old 18 Jan 2009, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Rusty,

Your saying parts are L80 and labor L320 ??? That's a lot of labor. I was in England for 12+ years but that was 12 years ago but labor wasn't that expensive. I guess times have changed and your garage labor prices have caught up to ours.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 09:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: wheel noise and suspension banging

Hey Crewzin!
I think the expensive part would be drining to the UK for service!

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 18 Jan 2009, 10:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Frank,

If you mean "driving to the UK", yea that would would be expensive.

Old 20 Jan 2009, 03:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello Crewzin,

As ususal when you visit a garage and ask the mechanic what you want them to do, they take a sharp intake of breath, which makes you feel uneasy!! and say "depends what else we find, mate".Only visited one garage up to now and that was an independant and not the main dealers!! I would imagine that Chrysler main dealers would cost an arm and a leg!! Carry on Cruzin!

Rusty