PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
where to get sway bar set for the best price? or..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2003, 10:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PtPaully
Default where to get sway bar set for the best price? or..

where to get sway bar set for the best price? or stock sway bar and the links,bushings bolts and brackets becuase my 03 didnt come with a rear bar. and i would like to have one because my 01 had it and it handled better with it.
another question is if i just put a good aftermarket rear sway bar it would that be ok? instead of changing both? because right now i have a set of lowering springs coming from PTtuning that are the BTg brand (i think that is the name)the ones with the free shipping.and figured the rear sway would add some better handling. any input would be great
thanks in advance.
Paul
Old 07 Sep 2003, 10:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

best bet is to shop around.
check the usu online places, but depending on the bar set, u can use a speedshop or autoparts place, they can order them for you.
The swaybar linkage for the rear (if you don't have one) can be ordered from the dealer.
Check this link:
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=3727

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 10 Sep 2003, 11:36 am
Young Cruiser

Could there be a problem adding the stock sway bar to an 03[:I]?? Chrysler says it beefed up the internal sway bar when they eliminated the external one for 03. Perhaps adding a sway bar would effect handling and ride in a negative way. I recall reading a Service Bulletin from Chrysler in which they explained how and why they eliminated the external bar. They stated that it was not recommended to add an external bar to the 03 because of the effect on the ride. Anyone have any input on this?
GW
Old 11 Sep 2003, 01:25 am
Cool Cruiser

GW

If you believe that crap about a redesign I have a bridge I would like to sell. Just kidding. They left it off for 2 reasons. 1 To save money. 2 It does very little to help the handling of the car. I put aftermarket bars on my Cruiser and the stock bar is so flimsy it does very little to help Tiny and cheap materials on rear and a hunk of rusty cast iron on the front. All they most likely did is change the rear spring rates
Old 11 Sep 2003, 03:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Grouch - You are correct about the less than glamorous life of a PT sway bar. While the front looks beefy, the rear (albeit painted) looks like a twig on my '01 TE.

Who has the diameter specs on the stockers? Suspension Techniques says F = 1.0625" R = 0.875" for their bars. Wonder how those rears would mount inside OEM chassis-to-sway link?? Does S/T atleast provide that bushing?

Check www.shox.com for PT suspension stuff.
Old 08 Nov 2003, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just installed front and rear Suspension Techniques bars on my '03 and I can attest that they greatly improve the cornering. I picked ST as they were the largest and purchased them from RacerWheel (online) as they had the best price. Since I had no OEM rear bar, I got the rear mounting components from Mopar (thanks to GearHead's post for the parts list!) I investigated the Eibach kit but they were back ordered until the end of the month. There were no problems, but it is a two-person job. The complete cost was ~$350 and well worth it. I now enjoy driving the PT on twisty roads.
Old 08 Nov 2003, 10:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CJJ

Shox.com has Eibach bars for $269 and Suspension Technique bars for $229
Old 09 Nov 2003, 05:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Replaced the stock sway bars with Progress sway bars front and rear on my '02 and the handling improved dramatically.
27mm front/22mm rear... no lean in turns, stays flat! Corners like it's on rails!!

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 19 Nov 2003, 05:26 am
Regular Cruiser

I went to the dealer to get prices, on all of the missing rear sway bar items/pieces, the retainers/hex screws/hex nuts/bushings/link-sway/ all totaled, $103.71 (Mounting harware) and $116.60 for the stock rear sway bar. These are list price, I'm sure most of us/you could do better. The estimate for Labor to install all of the above (missing parts) is about 2.3 hours or $168.00. The total for the parts and install is=$388.31 at the dealer. This should be deducted from your sales invoice, OR installed by your selling dealer, providing them with your window sticker that shows, FT & RR sway bars on 2 separate lines, on your window sticker. My dealership in SO Cal, said they'd finally get the parts and install them as soon as they come in. THEN I'LL PICK-UP/TAKE DELIVERY of the 03 GT.

You must be persistant, AND prove your point, and the dealer Should do it as GOOD FAITH,......Good luck,.....11/18/03 Stew
Old 19 Nov 2003, 06:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by knowyourturbo

I went to the dealer to get prices, on all of the missing rear sway bar items/pieces, the retainers/hex screws/hex nuts/bushings/link-sway/ all totaled, $103.71 (Mounting harware) and $116.60 for the stock rear sway bar. These are list price, I'm sure most of us/you could do better. The estimate for Labor to install all of the above (missing parts) is about 2.3 hours or $168.00. The total for the parts and install is=$388.31 at the dealer. This should be deducted from your sales invoice, OR installed by your selling dealer, providing them with your window sticker that shows, FT & RR sway bars on 2 separate lines, on your window sticker. My dealership in SO Cal, said they'd finally get the parts and install them as soon as they come in. THEN I'LL PICK-UP/TAKE DELIVERY of the 03 GT.

You must be persistant, AND prove your point, and the dealer Should do it as GOOD FAITH,......Good luck,.....11/18/03 Stew
You were luckier than some of us in that you had the chance to read these forums or had other types of info on this subject before your purchase. Some of us had our cars before this problem was even discovered. So you do have the one up one your dealer especially since the PT's are not selling like they use to. Your're one of the few lucky ones[^] I'm still not sure the words DEALER[}] and
GOOD FAITH should be used together[:I]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer