Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I have a very unique question on wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2003, 11:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I have a very unique question on wheels

I am about to pick up my base pt cruiser, and I want to change my wheels the same day I buy it.

the wheels I want are 18", gunmetal, deep-dish(not too deep dish) and stick out about half an inch from under the fender for an aggressive look.

MY questions.
1. how do I get the wheels to stick out. Do I have to buy hubcentric spacers or can a get a wheel with a low offset, of say -10 to +10 to achieve the same look?

2. IS there any danger in using an offset other than +40. IN this case say +10?

3. If I have spacers or a low offset, can I go with wider than recommended tires on the back, like 255?

thanks a lot for helping me answer these. I searched high and low before finally deciding on a new pt cruiser and I am ecstatic about owning it.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 12:40 am
Senior Cruiser

just buy a wheel with a wider rim then stock, try 8-10inchs wide.

Old 25 Sep 2003, 01:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

will a 10 inch wide wheel not have problems with the springs or something?

When Peter talks about Paul, you learn far more about Peter than you ever do about Paul.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:01 am
Senior Cruiser

dude goto a tire shop!
check tirerack.com

wider tires in the back of a front drive car, no good
Old 25 Sep 2003, 12:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

You should probably contac

connor@tirerack.com

He can give you an accurate and informed answer

Old 29 Sep 2003, 03:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I still dont have the info I need.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

Connor recommends up to 235/40 in the front. THat does not help me at all. I dont even know the maximum wheel size that will fit without hassle on the cruiser. This is really frustrating me.

Connor also cant tell me what size width I can go up to if I add 1" spacers before the wheels. Is there a way I can calculate this?

I just want to know this: Can I fit 245/45/18 on all four corners without any rubbing or clearance problems? Thats my simple question and I still dont have an answer.

Other question is, how much wider can I go if I add the 1" spacer (25.4mm) Can I get up to 265?

I know a guy that has 265/30/19 on his pt cruiser but I cant contact him to ask if he had to have any mods done to the thing.

PLEASE HELP

When Peter talks about Paul, you learn far more about Peter than you ever do about Paul.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 09:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

drive the car to a tire shop that sells rims, try a few on, simple!

265/30/19 would be 10.4 inch's wide x3.12 sidewall hieght for a total diam. of 25.25"
235/35/19 would be 9.25 inch's wide x3.24 sidewall height for a total diam. of 25.48"
stock GT
205/50/17 would be 8.07 inch's wide x4.04 sidewall height for a total diam. of 25.07

since peeps lower their vehicls all the time, you won't have a problem with the hieght of the tire, now I will search for info on the spacing for you.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 10:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Punch,

I THANK YOU.

I really appreciate the time.

I have a question. Now that I know I wont have any clearance problems (since I will not be lowering the car)

can you tell me if a width of 245 will cause any problems with the springs. I would hate to go to a tire shop and have them fitting wheels all day.

Also, at the 8 inch wheel width, what offset wheel be necessary.?

Thanks again Punch

Old 29 Sep 2003, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hi punch,

I figured out your calculations, and I figured that my choice of

245/45/18 will result in an overall diameter of 26.68

If I go down to 245/40/18, its 25.7, which does not quite fit the wheel well enough for my liking.

My question is, is the 26.6 overall diameter too much? I dont think so, but I need an educated opinion( I know it will mess up my speedo reading but I can live with that.

Old 30 Sep 2003, 01:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The 245/45-18 will cause the speedometer to run 6.4% to slow. At an indicated 60, you will be doing 63.9 mph. That should not be enough to confuse the computer too much.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.