PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

2001 Front Wheel Bearing and Hub

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2009, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Front Wheel Bearing and Hub

Okay, I've got a 2001 PT with a bad front wheel bearing... Not too bad at 140,000 miles to have to replace a wheel bearing... Anyways, seems there was a design change to the wheel hub between 2001 and 2002 on these, according to this article:
"The Timken Company (Canton, Ohio) announced it will be supplying DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler Group (Auburn Hills, Michigan) with more bearings in 2002 for the hot-selling Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Most significantly, the 2002 PT Cruiser will be using Timken's UNIPAC ™ front hub assemblies with tapered roller bearings.

The PT Cruiser currently (2001) uses NSK hub assemblies with angular contact ball bearings.

For the new front hub assembly, Chrysler called in four bearing manufacturers and asked for designs which would have quadruple the service life of the current unit. Three presented larger ball bearing units, while Timken's not only used tapered roller bearings but also had the same dimensions as the current unit.

Chrysler's switch from ball bearing to tapered roller bearing hub units in the same vehicle is not unprecedented. A number of years ago, General Motors found ball bearing hub units in its larger front-drive cars were not holding up. A new tapered roller bearing hub assembly was developed with the same envelope dimensions and installed as a running change. "

Okay, so now here's my problem.... Because I know I should replace the hub along with the bearing.... I found that the hub for the 2001 is not available aftermarket, and I have to pay a small fortune at the dealer for the part.

My question is, with the info from the article about the 2002 Timken design being "same dimensions as the current unit" and "installed as a running change" I'm hoping that possibly the 2002 hub and bearing can be installed on the 2001 PT.

Has anyone tried this? Any issues? If at all possible, due to the greatly reduced cost and aftermarket availability, I'd like to install the 2002 hub and bearing on my 2001 PT. I found 1 internet parts site that says the same hub fits 2001-2009 (most sites only list 2002-2009), so I'm hoping perhaps this is a perhaps little known replacement option, and not just a mistake on the part of the parts site. From the look of the part, at first glance it seems like it should do the job, since I don't think the axle shaft has changed between model years.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by azuretech; 16 Nov 2009 at 07:37 pm. Reason: updated
Old 01 Jul 2011, 08:36 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Front Wheel Bearing and Hub

I've found myself in the exact same situation right now, did you ever find an answer to your question?
Old 01 Jul 2011, 02:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

bearings go round..
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, PT Dream wheels, K&N drop in air filter, Exide Orbital Purple Haze 34XCD battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.

Last edited by chigger_ns; 02 Jul 2011 at 09:45 am.
Old 01 Jul 2011, 03:52 pm
Young Cruiser

I just bought new hubs for my '02. I had to purchase the '01 version. Apparently Chrysler switched mid-year. Mine used wheel bearings that are 33mm wide instead of the later 39mm. The hubs were around $45 each thru Rockauto. The same hubs were $199 @Autozone.
Old 01 Jul 2011, 11:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoTunerCruiser View Post
I just bought new hubs for my '02. I had to purchase the '01 version. Apparently Chrysler switched mid-year. Mine used wheel bearings that are 33mm wide instead of the later 39mm. The hubs were around $45 each thru Rockauto. The same hubs were $199 @Autozone.
I got mine for a lil over $50 on ebay. They were Dorman brand (same as Aoutozone and Advance). when I was back in Advance I told the guy that I got them online for much cheaper than what they quoted, his reply was " yeah, but what is there warranty ours is 3 yrs." My reply to that was "who cares what the warranty is. At this price I can buy buy 4 for the price of one of yours. Surely, I won't go through 4 in three yrs."
Old 02 Jul 2011, 09:40 am
Young Cruiser

These were Dorman also. Exact same part number and boxes from the two places. I actually did order and buy the more expensive ones before I realized I could get the same thing for a quarter of the price, so I took them back.

The main point here though is that aftermarket hubs are available.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had to do the left side on my 2002 Limited, it had the smaller bearing on it, just changed out the bearing $24.00 at O'Riellys. It went out at 109,800 miles.