PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Heavy Armoured Pt Cruiser -need reforced suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2009, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Heavy Armoured Pt Cruiser -need reforced suspension

Hello there, its my first thread here!

I have a 2005 Pt Cruiser Limited 2005 with just 28k kilometers on it. I live in Brazil and this car runs with me just once a week. The thing is that my car is fully armoured (bullet proof) IIIA NIJ, it has heavy windows (21mm each) and some heavy materials on it. I know it wasnt the best car to armor, but here in Brazil unfortunatly violence is a major problem in So Paulo and Pt cruiser is considered as a luxury car. (believe it or not).

The thing is that my car suspension with just 28k kilometers is gone. It became a really unconfortable and hard ride. Thats because the armor adds around 300- 350 kg on the car. But that it is not normal for an armoured car.. My friends armoured 3 series changed its suspension with 80k kilometers for example.

Do you guys have any sugestion of how can I improve the suspension durability and confort for my heavy weight car?

I tought of various ways to improve its suspension durability. Im thinking in getting the Tein coilovers (I saw it on Horsepowerfreaks website). But Im not shure if spending US$ 1700 will realy make a big difference from the stock durability dampers. I, for sure, dont want to drift or drag race with this car. Its heavy and I only think in it as a cool, confortable and safe car to ride. (Will be soon posting pictures of the changes Ive made on it since new).

I think that the major suspension parts that I really need to change right now is the bushings. Ive read somewhere that the OEM ones is made of rubber, and maybe because of humity and 4 years (since I got it new from the dealer) may have cause premature abrasion on it. Ive saw the "5.18108 HyperFlex Master Kit Chrysler PT Cruiser 01-05" that is made of polyurethane, a material way better than rubber.

Ive also saw some kind of air suspension lift (the name is "Air suspension 1000", but for the cheap price (around 90 dollars) I have doubts if its not dangerous to use it full time, and the durability of this thing.

Please I accept suggestions.

Thank you very much

Brazilpt