Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Smaller 15" Winter Tires on 2003 Limited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2009, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Smaller 15" Winter Tires on 2003 Limited

I'm guessing this has been asked already but couldn't find it in any of the postings.

I have a 2003 Limited Edition with16" rims and disc brakes front and back. I've read that it's better to go with a taller narrow tire for better traction and was thinking of going to a 195 65R15 tire (same size as the standard edition). I was getting ready to buy when I heard no problem, but make sure the brakes fit.

Anyone else agree or disagree with the smaller tire decision? One advantage is that it is cheaper!

How about the brakes? Will the upgraded brakes fit into a 15" rim?

Thanks!

PS - first post... I've been lurking for a while and just signed up today. Bought a Black 2003 Limited Edition with 5-speed manual about three months ago. Didn't think I would be a PT nut, but it's converted me. The car is fantastic. Everything works just they way I like it. Right down to the cruise control, the nice solid rear door lift handle. I think if all the haters had a chance to own one for a few weeks the world would be overrun by PTs.
Old 01 Dec 2009, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Smaller 15" Winter Tires on 2003 Limited

Welcome-
If you get the stock steel 15" wheels, you'll be fine - they even fit over the turbo's brakes. If you can find a 15" alloy wheels (if you want that) that fit the PT, you're good - only the front turbo brakes are a concern on clearance.
Yes, narrower is better for snow.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
snow, tires, wheels, winter