Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can you disable TPMS for winter tires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2009, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Can you disable TPMS for winter tires?

I bought a set of factory 16 inch wheels for winter tire use. Can I disable TPMS on the PT Cruiser 2010 or do I have to shell out a few hundred more for TPMS wheel sensors? I am getting some whacky local price quotes on these sensors.
Old 04 Dec 2009, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Can you disable TPMS for winter tires?

This certainly is getting complicated...
---

PROGRAMMING THE SKREEM
The SKIS Secret Key is an ID code that is unique to each SKREEM/WCM. This code is programmed and stored in
the SKREEM/WCM, the PCM/ECM, and each ignition key transponder chip. When the PCM or SKREEM/WCM is
replaced, it is necessary to program the Secret Key into the new module using a diagnostic scan tool. Follow the
programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for “PCM Replaced” or “WCM Replaced” under “Miscellaneous
Functions” for the “WCM/Wireless Control Module” menu item as appropriate.
NOTE: Be certain to enter the correct country code for the SKREEM/WCM. If the incorrect country code is
programmed into the SKREEM, it cannot be changed and the SKREEM must be replaced.
NOTE: In addition, the SKREEM/WCM must be configured for certain optional equipment in the vehicle,
including Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM
) and Remote Keyless Entry (RKE). Follow the programming steps outlined
in the diagnostic scan tool under “Miscellaneous Functions” for the “WCM/Wireless Control Module”
menu item as appropriate.
NOTE: A replacement SKREEM/WCM is supplied with TPM enabled by default; therefore, if the vehicle is not
equipped with TPM, the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) will incorrectly “learn” that the vehicle
has TPM after the replacement SKREEM is installed. The TPM indicator in the EMIC will illuminate to show
a TPM fault condition after TPM has been disabled in the SKREEM. The EMIC must “unlearn” TPM to correct
this false TPM indication. Follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for “Clear
Learned Features” under “Miscellaneous Functions” for the “Instrument Cluster” menu item as appropriate.
NOTE: If the PCM/ECM and the SKREEM/WCM are replaced at the same time, all vehicle ignition keys will
need to be replaced and new keys programmed into the new SKREEM/WCM.
NOTE: Programming the PCM/ECM or SKREEM is done using a diagnostic scan tool and a PIN to enter
secure access mode. If three attempts are made to enter secure access mode using an incorrect PIN,
secure access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition to the RUN
position for one hour then enter the correct PIN. (Ensure all accessories
----
Old 04 Dec 2009, 02:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Can you disable TPMS for winter tires?

Yeah I'm working the same angle. I just put my studs on yesterday (without TPMS) but haven't driven it yet. I've kept one stock wheel (with TPMS) in the back hoping one signal will do.
Over on a Mustang site a couple of guys are experimenting with placing a couple of sensors in a glued up PVC pipe, with a valve, and pumping it up to 35#'s. They are testing now so I'll get back to you.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 04 Dec 2009, 05:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ubp View Post
This certainly is getting complicated...
---

PROGRAMMING THE SKREEM
The SKIS Secret Key is an ID code that is unique to each SKREEM/WCM. This code is programmed and stored in
the SKREEM/WCM, the PCM/ECM, and each ignition key transponder chip. When the PCM or SKREEM/WCM is
replaced, it is necessary to program the Secret Key into the new module using a diagnostic scan tool. Follow the
programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for “PCM Replaced” or “WCM Replaced” under “Miscellaneous
Functions” for the “WCM/Wireless Control Module” menu item as appropriate.
NOTE: Be certain to enter the correct country code for the SKREEM/WCM. If the incorrect country code is
programmed into the SKREEM, it cannot be changed and the SKREEM must be replaced.
NOTE: In addition, the SKREEM/WCM must be configured for certain optional equipment in the vehicle,
including Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM
) and Remote Keyless Entry (RKE). Follow the programming steps outlined
in the diagnostic scan tool under “Miscellaneous Functions” for the “WCM/Wireless Control Module”
menu item as appropriate.
NOTE: A replacement SKREEM/WCM is supplied with TPM enabled by default; therefore, if the vehicle is not
equipped with TPM, the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) will incorrectly “learn” that the vehicle
has TPM after the replacement SKREEM is installed. The TPM indicator in the EMIC will illuminate to show
a TPM fault condition after TPM has been disabled in the SKREEM. The EMIC must “unlearn” TPM to correct
this false TPM indication. Follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for “Clear
Learned Features” under “Miscellaneous Functions” for the “Instrument Cluster” menu item as appropriate.
NOTE: If the PCM/ECM and the SKREEM/WCM are replaced at the same time, all vehicle ignition keys will
need to be replaced and new keys programmed into the new SKREEM/WCM.
NOTE: Programming the PCM/ECM or SKREEM is done using a diagnostic scan tool and a PIN to enter
secure access mode. If three attempts are made to enter secure access mode using an incorrect PIN,
secure access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition to the RUN
position for one hour then enter the correct PIN. (Ensure all accessories
----
What language is that? I hate the TPMS on mine!!!
Old 04 Dec 2009, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH08 View Post
What language is that? I hate the TPMS on mine!!!
You would have to ask Chrysler. It is from the 2006 PT Cruiser shop manual.
Old 05 Dec 2009, 05:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

does the spare have a sensor, too? What happens when you put spare on?
I cannot see why it seems a good idea to put sensors in a pipe to fool the TPMS - if you are buying the valves anyway, why not put them in the wheels?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Dec 2009, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

This link provides an overview of Tire Pressure Monitoring systems

Tire-pressure monitoring system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05 Dec 2009, 08:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

More information:

Tire Tech Information - Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

http://www.tireindustry.org/pdf/TREAD_Act_Summary.pdf

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/Cfc_t...ubl414.106.pdf
Old 05 Dec 2009, 04:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
does the spare have a sensor, too? What happens when you put spare on?
I cannot see why it seems a good idea to put sensors in a pipe to fool the TPMS - if you are buying the valves anyway, why not put them in the wheels?
They used the existing sensors when they changed tires over. Now they can freely switch from summer to winter tires without the hassle and expense. I'm still waiting for their results.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 14 Mar 2011, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm wondering the same thing. Just traded our '07 PT for a leftover '10. I've got a like new set of 15" steel wheels with studded snows that I'd like to run for winter. Is there a way to disable this TPMS ? is there maybe a fuse that I could pull ?