Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Right Tire keeps getting eaten by strut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2009, 05:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front Right Tire keeps getting eaten by strut

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser that I am about to change the transmission on because I have bought a lemon. I have also found that the reason I have replaced the tire three times is because metal on the right front strut is eating into the tire somehow. There is a small dent near the tire on the right fender from an accident before I got it , but I am not sure the extent of the accident. Wondering if this only needs a strut , or do I have serious frame damage. ANy Ideas.
Old 05 Dec 2009, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front Right Tire keeps getting eaten by strut

Take it to an alignment shop - for about $70, you'll find out!
No way should it rub, unless they aren't stock wheels/tires.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Dec 2009, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I had the thought , but I can visially see where the wheel almost touches the strut , it seems like the strut assembly is not where it should be.
I will try to get pics so you can see. Its slow gradual wear. Tire size is 205/55/16 , One solution I thought of was going to 195 on both front tires, but then why is this only doing it to the right tire. Any thoughts?
Old 05 Dec 2009, 07:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If there was a dent, there may have been other braille driving, like whacking a curb.
Those are stock-size tires.
If the suspension/alignment are out of whack, tires will wear unevenly.
Go to an alignment shop, and get a second opinion (and quote) from another shop.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Dec 2009, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ill do that , Thanks man for the advice.