Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Right Front Wheel Spin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2009, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Right Front Wheel Spin

I have a 2002 Cruiser & have noticed that when on wet pavement, especially a slight incline, when taking off, the right front wheel spins a lot. Was wondering is this is common or if there is a problem that needs attention.
Old 07 Dec 2009, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Right Front Wheel Spin

Common. THe PT doesn't have a limited slip differential.
PTs with Traction Control will apply the brake to that wheel to limit wheelspin....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Dec 2009, 09:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front wheel spin in an AWD '05 RL.... WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinpetmas View Post
If you have seen my first post you know I'm a newb. Dear old mom sold her 1990 Camaro RS 5.0 so she could get a dinghy to tow behind her RV. On my advice she got an '05 Vue RL . She is actually very happy with it. However, I have notice a few issues that I'm not telling her about till I have a fix.

The first issue, I made a left had turn from a stop light and spun the inside front wheel on the Vue very easly to the point of making smoke. I then tried a hard straight launch and it spun the front tires a fair amount. Shouldn't the AWD part of the drive train have kicked in. My experience is with a '03 Escape 3.0 AWD (wifes). It will make a little tire noise but pull hard and not spin.

The second issue, the steering dosen't center quickly. In fact it's slower to center then any car I have drivin. Is this a trait of the Vue redline?

Third issue is a 40-45 mph hum from the front of the car. I think it's tire noise but I've heard these cars have had bearing issues. My experience with failed wheel bearings is they get noiser when you go faster. You can fell the hum through the steering wheel like a very fast light buzz. It goes away around 50mph.

Thanks,
If you think I'm clinking the link in your signature, you're crazy.

Why are you here? This is a PT Cruiser Forum - not a SPAM site
Old 11 Dec 2009, 10:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinpetmas View Post
If you have seen my first post you know I'm a newb. Dear old mom sold her 1990 Camaro RS 5.0 so she could get a dinghy to tow behind her RV. On my advice she got an '05 Vue RL . She is actually very happy with it. However, I have notice a few issues that I'm not telling her about till I have a fix.

The first issue, I made a left had turn from a stop light and spun the inside front wheel on the Vue very easly to the point of making smoke. I then tried a hard straight launch and it spun the front tires a fair amount. Shouldn't the AWD part of the drive train have kicked in. My experience is with a '03 Escape 3.0 AWD (wifes). It will make a little tire noise but pull hard and not spin.

The second issue, the steering dosen't center quickly. In fact it's slower to center then any car I have drivin. Is this a trait of the Vue redline?

Third issue is a 40-45 mph hum from the front of the car. I think it's tire noise but I've heard these cars have had bearing issues. My experience with failed wheel bearings is they get noiser when you go faster. You can fell the hum through the steering wheel like a very fast light buzz. It goes away around 50mph.

Thanks,
What you have described are all features of the Vue. We had one and it was a lemon, as were most/many of the 02 and 03 models. Some were much worse than others. A small number were amazingly good. The 05s may be better, but don't hold your breath. Our 03 was out last GM car. Is yours a V6? That is a Honda engine. I think it may also be a Honda automatic transmission. If it is a 4 cylinder, it is a GM Ecotec engine and some corporate transmission from somewhere. If automatic, I am unaware that they can be flat towed without modification to the drive train. The Vue has electric power steering that's very tricky. I disliked it greatly. The AWD unit did not function as traction control, and was never intended to do so. Ours had severe torque steer and bump steer that got progressively worse. If/when the AWD unit begins to make a wagga wagga wagga sound on turns, get it to the dealer for attention. Did it come with a long extended warranty?

For very good Saturn advice, try here: SaturnFans Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Disclaimer: The original Saturn S series cars were excellent. We had two of them. The original S series Saturns could be flat towed. That may not hold true with the non-S series cars. Buyer beware and do homework.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 02:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
Disclaimer: The original Saturn S series cars were excellent. We had two of them. The original S series Saturns could be flat towed. That may not hold true with the non-S series cars. Buyer beware and do homework.
I agree. I had one of the early 91 SL2's and liked it so well I ordered a second one in 94. But that's when it was Saturn - not GM.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901
Old 12 Dec 2009, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Right Front Wheel Spin

Had a 92 SL-2 myself. Great car. Traded it in for a 4-door with roomier interior here in Florida.