Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pulling to the left

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2009, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pulling to the left

I have seen a few posts about the same problem I have. I have a 01 pt with 150 k I replaced both control arms and outer tierods and sway bar links and bell crank and alignment. Has anybody found out how to fix this. Also it is not a sticking brake I had that checked out too.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 12:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: pulling to the left

Bad tires or junk brand tires can cause this.
-Try swapping tires front to rear.
-Try borrowing a set of tires/wheels known good for a test drive.

Incompetent alignment can also cause it. Steering wheel needs to be set to zero first, then held with a cord or device of some sort. Then, and only then should the wheels be set for to-in, toe-out, camber, caster, etc. Checking and adjusting settings without zeroing the steering wheel is a time-saver, so the tech and shop can make more money per day, but is the wrong way to do it. (Go ahead--flame me.) In the old days with recirculating ball steering, I could usually take care of this later by resetting the drag link. You can't do that with rack and pinion.

I make it a point to avoid alignment shops that also sell tires, and also avoid getting alignments done at big chains.

Trying to type with cat on lap, sorry.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 08:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The shop I used is one my company uses on or fleet, They have always done a good job on our trucks. Tires are Michelons that I have had on car for two plus years. I just wonder if it could be inner tierods. I am really baffled on this one.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 08:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdo12345 View Post
The shop I used is one my company uses on or fleet, They have always done a good job on our trucks. Tires are Michelons that I have had on car for two plus years. I just wonder if it could be inner tierods. I am really baffled on this one.
OK. Disregard everything I wrote after the word "Bad. . ." Then disregard that word.

When the alignment shop does the company trucks, can I assume that they set the steering wheels to zero? Rack & pinion is differnt from the recirculating ball used on most trucks. Beyond that probably useless conjecture that suggests a second opinion, I am baffled.
Old 02 Jan 2010, 01:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

have you checked the power steering fluid?
Old 02 Jan 2010, 09:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Fluid is fine, the steering is nice and tight no play in the wheel, though I did notice that it pulls to the left first then at higher speeds it pulls back to the right. Has anybody found a cure for theirs. Mine is going back to the shop this week
Old 02 Jan 2010, 01:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdo12345 View Post
Fluid is fine, the steering is nice and tight no play in the wheel, though I did notice that it pulls to the left first then at higher speeds it pulls back to the right. Has anybody found a cure for theirs. Mine is going back to the shop this week
That is seriously strange. It may also be an important clue for the tech. I am out of my league here.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 10:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

motor mounts?? torque strut???
Old 27 Jan 2010, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

just a thought, have you had the bearings checked at the top between the body and the strut. My mechanic had once mentioned this to me when I had described the same symptoms you have. It was not the bearing, in my case but very well may be worth checking. My 2 cents
My dad taught me all you need in life is WD40, and duct tape, if it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape, if it doesn't move and it should use WD40. If you can't fix it with a hammer .....it's electrical.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am having the same issue to. But mine pulls to the right. I also read that it could be the Motor mount or torque strut. Going to check these next.