Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2010, 02:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Recommendations

I currently have BTG springs and Tokico struts/shocks. I've had the springs for about 6 years and the Tokicos for about 1 year. The ride has been getting a little too stiff for my maturing taste, especially now that a 3 week old has to ride in the back and I'm in NE Pa where the roads are like jigsaw puzzles! I already took off my 17" wheels and have the stock 16"s back on. I also have a front strut bar installed. What do you all think my options are for making the ride quality less jarring?

Eibachs sound like they'd be the same ride quality as I have now, Euro Blue Lines are nowhere to be found on the internet (i've checked with pt-tuning and ptwarehouse), and Teins and H&Rs sound the same as well. I can't find any reviews/experience with the Mopar performance springs either, and I'm really trying to avoid buying stock springs.
Any suggestions?
Thanks guys.
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler

Last edited by Pat1USMC; 19 Jan 2010 at 02:30 pm.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 08:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Recommendations

Hey their Pat1USMC,

Ok, you would like better ride quality right? I believe your BTG Drop Springs should be just a mild drop of around 1.4"in front and 1.3 out back or reasonably close to those spec's, and your Tokico struts/shocks should be more than capable of offsetting any diminished ride quality left over from the lowered suspension. On the other hand if I am wrong, and your BTG Springs are set up at a significant drop ranging from over 2" plus up front, and 3" plus in the rear, then you would of course want to go with a more mild drop to increase suspension travel thus improving ride quality.

If you already have good aftermarket Struts, and Shocks riding on a very mild drop, and have already gone back to your stock 16" wheels, unless I am missing something you should be back to pretty close to stock ride quality currently. The Strut Bar is intended to reduce Body Roll by keeping the the front suspension tighter which may contribute to a slightly stiffer ride, but not by a huge amount.

By switching out springs to a different Manufacturer is unfortunately not going to really change the ride enough to make a significant day and night of improvement in ride over what you already have. The Eibachs may have a little better quality material, and a better progressive wind over many, which contributes to the springs being slightly lighter and more agile, but you are only talking by a minute amount of difference, and is still going to give you that tighter, stiffer feel due to the nature of drop springs having to compress suspension travel. If their was a way to reverse the problem and instead increase suspension travel, then you could make your PT ride like a Bentley but sadly given the structural limitations we are just stuck.

The only things that come to mind to make significant improvements in your ride quality honestly would be to either try to increase your overall tire sidewall by dropping your wheel size to 15" and then maxing the diameter to get more cushioning from the tires, or possibly look into upgrading to an adjustable suspension set up such as either coil overs, or air ride which will give you full control over how stiff, or soft you would like your PT to ride at.

That is about the best ways I can think of at the moment to try to resolve your problem. I wish I could be of more help for you, and if I think of anything else I will be sure to post them here for you. If you do ultimately at some point down the road ever come to the conclusion that you would like to toy with the idea of resorting back to stock OEM Springs, I have one full set with approximately 2500 miles on them which came off my PT, and another set of new front OEM's as well which I would be more than happy to try to make you a good deal on if need be.

You go easy, I wish you the very best of luck on trying to figure out a good solution, and I will catch you later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 19 Jan 2010 at 08:35 pm.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 08:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Recommendations

Thanks for the help!
Its weird, I really don't remember the ride being this harsh before. I wonder if some other part of the suspension is going bad and that is contributing to the poor ride quality. I just had to replace the control arm bushings so who knows what else is going after 95,000 miles. Is it possible that the springs themselves just need to be replaced?

I'd really like to prevent going back to the stock springs but how much would you like for yours?
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 20 Jan 2010, 01:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Recommendations

Might be that you're more attentive to the ride/handling now that you have a 3-week old in the back seat.. Just a thought. I know I'd do the same..

Old 20 Jan 2010, 02:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Recommendations

Hey their once again,

Good point Chris, I probably would be a bit more attentive in the same spot.

As for roads, I was a long distance truck driver for what is now a division of Fed Ex and used to run up to Harrisburg off the turnpike about 25 miles or so northeast of Carlisle at least 3-4 times a month, and when it comes to rough roads, Penn has got nothing on Jersey, NYC, Chicago, and my home town of good old Los Angeles CA. Just kidding except maybe Chicago, or Jersey maybe... I have literally seen the tandom rear axles of a fully loaded 80,000 Semi knocked clean off from hitting a pothole on the freeway out by the north side of O'hare Airport. Now that's a pothole! One thing is for sure though, out of well over 1,000,000 miles across the lower 48 States, most of Canada, and once to Alaska via the cab of a Truck, if it weren't for the winters, I would probably relocate back to PA! It is one of my favorite places in the US outside of sunny So Cal.

Anyways getting back on track here, the Springs are made of a mixture of tempered and hardened steel and related types of material and may overtime sag slightly, but usually for the most part any sagging is usually minor, and tends to occur a month or two after first installation once the weight of the car has a chance to settle its weight over time. So to answer your question, your springs are probably fine.

If anything is bad at all I would take a look more so at the Shocks and Struts, which could potentially go bad with some good mileage on them and if they may have been well used on less than smooth roads, but even their make sure you take a good look at them as to not just go throwing parts on that may not be necessary unless you are way better off financially than myself in which case I would have to mention that I charge a shop rate of $80.00 an hour for good reliable advice. Kidding.

Since you just replaced bushings I would venture to guess their was a fair amount of time spent poking around the front end at which point I would think the front suspension would have gotten a good once over to check for broken seals, and so forth but without having been there and knowing what was what, who can say. So, check seals, make sure everything is on the up and up, maybe try the old bounce test in which you bounce the front end of the car a couple of times and make sure it stabilizes right away instead of continuing to bounce thus indicating bad struts (Please note: If you try the bounce test, be extra big time sure you do not bounce it too hard as you can accidentally push too hard against specific areas on the hood, or fenders which could potentially cause a small dent of which it would be a very long 3300 miles for me to come out and fix her up for you so beeee careful!!!)

Also while checking your struts and shocks, I would maybe have someone take a look at your wheels to make sure they are in balance, and good alignment, and that your tires are all properly inflated, rotated, and in good working order. I know all of that is more or less routine maintainance but for one, you got your Co-Driver their in the back seat helping you navigate and that a big enough reason without question to make sure all is well, but also all above mentioned should have little to more likely no cost involved to check out, and could potentially cause vibrations which may lead to you misdiagnosing it as poor ride quality. I know its probably a long shot, but to be 100% thorough....if nothing else, you know everything else is good, safe, and ready to go for a good while, and you will then know a few more things that you can write off the list that are for sure not causing your problem.

So, once again, you go easy, and please let me know what you find out or if you have anymore questions and either myself, or one of the great guys here on this Site should be able and more than happy to help anytime.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing