Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
First Flat . . . what a day. :- (

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2003, 07:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default First Flat . . . what a day. :- (

What a day . . . My daughter was in an accident on Saturday. She was the back seat passenger in her 16 year old friend's car when they hit a pole. We spent 4 hours in the emergency room getting her injuries checked out. She came away with a broken and cut nose and a fractured bone in her lower back. Fortunately, she will be fine. None of the injuries are serious although we are concerned about the back fracture.

When we finally left the hospital . . . there sat my PT in the rain with a flat front tire. Needless to say, I was talking to myself a bit. What a day!

So I got a chance to try out the jack and spare. I have to say that getting the spare down and out was simple. The jack worked great even on my lowered front end. The spare is VERY SMALL though. The car sat lower on that side so I drove carefully to get home.

The first thing I did when I got home was to put a pair of gloves and rag in the back compartment with the jack. The spare gets filthy hanging under the car and my hands were BLACK after I finished changing the tire.

All in all, my first flat was not so bad even though Saturday was a terrible day for my duaghter and our family.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 07:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Steve, sorry to hear about this. At least none of the injuries were real serious. We will keep your family in our thoughts and hope things improve soon, Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 12 Oct 2003, 10:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

GTSteve,
Sorry about your daughter, I hope she's ok.

Glad to hear about the ease of changing the tire.

I already carry a pair of gloves and a roll of papertowels and some handwipes.

Old 13 Oct 2003, 01:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

GTSteve:
Sorry to hear about your daughter's accident but glad that she will be fine. I can relate to that as my wife was in an auto accident (caused by a 23 year-old uninsured driver/$9000 in repairs to her car plus medical expenses) this past summer. It's no fun to experience. [:0] As for the flat tire--that can always be fixed. [B)]

Best wishes to you and your family.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 09:38 am
Senior Cruiser

A lot of us put our cars up there on the pedestal but when things happen like this we quickly learn what really comes first (even though we knew that anyway). Glad things worked out and that your daughter is fine. Just as a precaution though I would have a follow up on her back in the near future. I have a bad back and it never goes away. Again, good to hear all is fine.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 03:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

You really didn't need a flat right then, and in the rain too. I'm sorry about your daughters injuries.

I know it's hard to be a "party pooper", but the words: "16 year old" and "driver" shouldn't be said in the same sentence unless there is a responsible adult in the car.

Here in Atlanta this week, three 16 year old girls left their High School, they think the front wheel dropped off of the curb, then overcorrected and spun into a tree. The driver is the only one who can regain consciousness, but hasn't yet.

Blanes HoodStruts
etc.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 03:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry to hear of your troubles, hope it works out for your daughter.

Old 14 Oct 2003, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

sorry to hear about your day, i bought for 75.00 a 17" rim & tire off ebay and keep it in the rear hatch just in case i ever get a flat i wouldn't have to use the donut they give us!!
hope you daughter feels better soon !!
Old 15 Oct 2003, 02:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Steve
So sorry to hear about your troubles. Gald your daughter is alright though... but do follow up on the back thing... they can cause problems down the line if not treated correctly and by someone you both like and trust.

And on top of all that you had a flat... bummer but was glad it didn't cuz you a big hassel getting the donut on.... that is one thing I hate is not having a fill size spare.

Gald everyone is Ok
ptcruizerman
daniel
Old 16 Oct 2003, 07:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just got back from the doctor. She will be fine although we are concerned about the compression fracture in her back. Since the car only had lap belts in the back seat, she was violently thrown forward causeing a fracture at L1-l2. The doctor assured us that she will heal fine in 4 to 6 weeks.

This is a dads worst nightmare come true. Thank God she will be OK.

Thank you for everyone who shared their concern. Amy read your posts and she smiled.

GTSteve