Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How do you cut your rear stock springs to lower your PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2010, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How do you cut your rear stock springs to lower your PT

I have a 01 base model that I want to lower. I really don't care about handling issues. How do I cut my stock springs to make them fit properly? I'm thinking of lower at least 2 inches. Are there any issues I will face by doing so? I am new to the site, any info would be great!
Old 16 Feb 2010, 11:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: How do you cut your rear stock springs to lower your PT

I believe most owners bought shorter springs. Always heard you weren't suppose to cut springs. I guess it can be done; but how I don't know.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 01:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

That's totally rice. You'll ruin the spring rate and bounce around. Lowering springs aren't that expensive.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 17 Feb 2010, 06:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cut and the springs won't seat properly - the ends need to be flat - cut and you lose one of the flattened ends of the spring.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Feb 2010, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Candyman is the guru on lowering springs, he'll chime in. I believe he has some stock springs for sale.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 Feb 2010, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

If you're going to ghetto-lower the car, you're gonna need to cut them and then heat them with a torch to bend the "new" top coil to be flat so it seats correctly.

It's a little bit of work, but free, I guess. If you've got a torch/grinder/cutting wheel/saw.....

Definitely better off just lowering it with springs designed for the job.

You might not care about ride quality, but you'll care if the car sits cock-eyed, right?
Old 21 Feb 2010, 01:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

cutting springs are easily done. like said above make sure to heat the last coil to bend back flat. only thing i see is the weight of the car holds these springs in besides the shock. cutting the spring will make it shorter and if the car flexes the rear to one side it may let the spring fall out.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 06:14 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman

Hey their Guys,

I am just going to throw a little bit of caution in on this one really quick, and then its up to you guys whatever you decide to do.

Before we begin, I have helped design, and build my own custom drop kit for the PT along with a good friend of mine who cad designs, and fabricates off road suspension systems for Class 11 Off Road Race Trucks, and full blown Trophy Trucks for Baja, The Springs we designed for the PT were computer designed progressively wound coils made from a Titanium mix, to give the PT a full custom 3" / 5" drop which truly leveled the ride height. So, recon you could say I am somewhat versed in the basics of custom suspension.

With that said, I would not recommend cutting Factory Stock springs. That's not to say it cannot be done, but rather not recommended both from a safety, and comfort standpoint.

Unlike Aftermarket Springs, the Stock Springs use a heavier, and stiffer thickness of material, and are not progressively wound so the ride will be much harsher, will not seat correctly, will handle poorly, and to me is not worth the risk to save $100.00 on doing it the right way to start with, but that is only my opinion based on reasonable experience.

If you do decide to go ahead and cut the Stock rear Springs, I would first make absolutely sure you are dead on accurate with your measurements as if you are off by even a fraction of an inch, your PT could have major driveability issues, alignment issues, and more that can have a major impact on the overall vehicle.

Next, If I were to cut the rear springs, I would use a Chop Saw to make the cuts, and would under all circumstances avoid using a torch to heat up the springs at all cost. The reason is, once you introduce heat into the equation, you will alter the physical properties of the materials used during fabrication, thus weakening the materials causing it to have stress point fractures, leading up to catastrophic failure.

Lets say you are Cruising along down the freeway at 75 MPH, and hit a good sized bump in the road, and no way to steer clear of it. One of your rear Springs fails due to your heating it with a torch. Its likely that at the moment the Spring fails, the remaining fragments will be ejected from under the rear of the vehicle at high velocity, potentially causing major damage to your vehicle including hitting the fuel tank which could cause a fire. Then your vehicle would drop on one corner most likely causing you to have a major car wreck hurting yourself, or worse, could seriously hurt someone else! I have seen altered Springs fail several times already, and I am sure people will still tell you to go for it, their shouldn't be any problem, this is why I would strongly advise against cutting the Stock Springs.

I know were only talking about doing the rear Springs, but just fair warning, never under any circumstance try to cut the Front Springs, or you could causes major front end damage as well!.

So, my best piece of honest advice would be to track down a set of Drop Springs for around $100 or so, use the back ones, and enjoy them!

That's my two cents anyways.

You Guys go easy, and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 22 Feb 2010, 11:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Going to agree, wholeheartedly.

They're only $100. Spend the money, do the job right - or risk costing yourself quite a bit more in the long run.