Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to fit Full size tire in wheel well

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2010, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy How to fit Full size tire in wheel well

We have bought a 5th Rim and New Yokohama tire for our 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition, and the full size tire will not fit where the "donut" tire is located. What has anyone done about this? I don't want to carry the tire in the cargo area as we have a Dog who loves it there. Discount Tire said some of the older Cruisers were able to handle a full size spare in the well, but alas ours is not one of them because of a crossmember that is now welded inside of the well
Hellllllp! Thanks,
Linda and Dan
Old 02 Mar 2010, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to fit Full size tire in wheel well

Stand it up in foot well behind the driver's seat.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Mar 2010, 02:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

What's wrong with the donut? A mounted full size tire in the backseat is going to be a PITA and will put wear on whatever it rubs against when driving. I've had three PT's and have only used the donut once and it worked well for a temp tire. Besides the fact that the tires on the PT are rotational and you can't use a full size tire on both sides. That's why when you rotate tires you keep the tires on the same side.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Mar 2010, 03:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Another vote here for 'keep the donut': I've used mine a few times over the last seven years (big thanks to both sloppy construction guys scattering nails in a parking lot, and Massachusetts' saving money by not wasting it patching potholes!), and have not had any problems. Sure, you're not supposed to drive it over 50mph and/or more than something like 400 miles total; no biggie, put it on, get the full-size patched or replaced, and away you go: save your cargo area for the dog!
Old 20 Mar 2010, 12:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The donut is not meant to be used over 50 miles @ 55 mph at one time.

Just keep the donut. You shouldn't really be driving on your spare anyway. The idea is that you can use the donut to take the flat tire to a tire shop and have it repaired, not to just drive around on the spare until you get around to getting it fixed.

Tires on a PT are not necessarily directional. It depends on what kind of tires you're using. If you're using non-directional tires, you can rotate them however you like.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 12:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

With all due respect, "donut" spare tires are a cruel joke in Southwestern states where tire repair places may 100 miles apart. Many of us call them "placebo" spares because they give a false sense of security.

I've given up on trying to get a full size tire and wheel to fit in the spot for the spare. Instead, I am hoping to be able to substitute a for-real tire and wheel in a size and section that will approximate the road tires' load rating.

If I lived in a part of the country where towns, albeit small towns, were no more than 20 miles apart, I would have no worries about the placebo donut spare. To illustrate the dilemma, grab a book style road atlas of the US. you will find that Arizona and Ohio both fit on one page. But you can fit four Ohios into Arizona. So one inch on the Ohio map will take you from Dayton past Springfield, but one inch on the Arizona Map won't get you through metro Phoenix. Alaska, northern Alberta, and so on have it even worse.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you know it says that 50mph and what 100 miles or so and I guess that is a safe number--------------
but i was coming from Dallas to Missouri it was late at night ( after midnight) and i was on a dead line to get home .
I ran that donut for well over 250 miles maybe over 300 miles until i found a tire shop that was open ( it was also on a Saturday night Sunday morning)
I was worried that it was going to go any time, and it did get super wore down ,and it even went flat after it was off the car but it got me down the road

and then who in there right mind would pay what they want for a "NEW TIRE" for a donut its just plain STUPID what them things cost ( i called a junk yard and got one for $25)
anyway I don't really like them but they worked for me and that was on a Dodge Intrepid
oh and your mileage may very