Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
front lower tie bar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2003, 10:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default front lower tie bar

On my Dodge Avenger, I have a upper and lower tie bar on the front suspension. The car stays VERY flat in turns WITHOUT sway bars. Of course the upper ties the strut towers together. The lower one ties the...LMAO, I can't remember what it ties together but it's under there somwhere's. Would the PT front lower suspension be able to use or benefit from one of these? Go ahead, laugh [8]but i am serious [B)]
Old 20 Oct 2003, 04:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Kevin 1 good set of aftermarket sways(fr/rear), strut bar, and slight lowering and your GT will handle as well or better than your avenger !
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 20 Oct 2003, 08:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Kevin, I agree with flashback2. I have installed the eibach anti roll kit, and the BTG strut tower brace. I hesitate to lower the cruiser because of the poor road conditions around here. I heard that the Eibach spring kit is a progressively wound spring but I'm afraid to lower it more than 1.5 inches in the front. It handles 150% better with what I've done so far. I'm still contemplating.....
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gear_Head

Kevin, I agree with flashback2. I have installed the eibach anti roll kit, and the BTG strut tower brace. I hesitate to lower the cruiser because of the poor road conditions around here. I heard that the Eibach spring kit is a progressively wound spring but I'm afraid to lower it more than 1.5 inches in the front. It handles 150% better with what I've done so far. I'm still contemplating.....
Yeah, i can see where you guys are coming from. I was just curious about the lower tie bar. I'm kinda sorry I lowered mine now. I love the look but the ride sucks. It's to bouncy to handle very well in turns. They told me they trimmed the bump stops in half when they installed the Progress springs. I have Koni yellows and the only way to keep it from bottoming out up front is to adjust them to FIRM. [:I] It's all trial~n~error[B)] Thanks for the info guys[?]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Guys I still haven't lowered mine either as the crusher is already scraping underneath where it can't be seen ! I figure that even with the mildest drop I'm gonna be refinishing the front end ! Actually my car handles pretty well with the oversize addco sways and the strut bar . I'd love to lose the wheel gaps but not @ the expense or re-finishing my front end 1-2 times per year . Kevin I ran the same suspension components on my Gt on my old cruiser plus weitec 1.4f/2.0r springs . I think if you get a matched set of bigger sways and a strut bar in addition to what you already have you cornering will improve greatly. I'm @ a loss to explain why you're bouncing so much in the corners with what you already have installed and can understand your frustration !
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 21 Oct 2003, 09:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

i lowered mine with eibach's and find the ride wasn't too much different. I drive in New England, and haven't found that it bottoms out and haven't recently hit the stops. I do find that it is a bit more bouncy in back with the new springs tho. I am planning on a set of sways tho as i think this will tighten up the back end.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 23 Oct 2003, 11:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Anti-sway bars will not cure a damping/spring rate problem. Most likely the reason why it's "bouncy", is that you've installed a spring that's too stiff for the damper valving.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 04:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Never said it would cure his bounce ! I said upgrading his other suspension components would enhance his cornering/handling ! You're correct however upgrading sways won't cure his bounce !