Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How do I remove the brake drums?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2010, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How do I remove the brake drums?

I have a 2001 LE PT Cruiser and I am having difficulty removing the rear brake drum, any suggestions?
Old 08 Mar 2010, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How do I remove the brake drums?

Welcome to the forum. Almost everything you can think of has been talked about before. Here's a thread using the search function:

Brake Drum's and Shoe's removal and replacement directions
Old 11 Mar 2010, 01:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Make sure your E-Brake is off
Old 18 Mar 2010, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

And if, after doing everything properly, you still can't remove it there is the old fashioned way: beat the sucker with a 6# hand sledge until it breaks off

Pete
Old 18 Mar 2010, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I didn't read the thread but usually there is a inspection plate in the backing plate that will let you UN adjust the shoes and get them loose enough to take the drum off but if not i agree a big hammer will usually work
Old 02 Jul 2010, 12:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecruiser View Post
Make sure your E-Brake is off
Hi, i'm sorry if my question is too dumb. Well, I want to ask why should one make sure that the emergency brake is off when replacing the brake drum? thanks a lot for helping me out. I'm really not good at DIY car stuff.

Last edited by leedavis; 05 Jul 2010 at 11:42 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2010, 05:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedavis View Post
Hi, i'm sorry if my question is too dumb. Well, I want to ask why should one make sure that the emergency brake is off when replacing the brake drum? thanks a lot for helping me out. I'm really not good at DIY car stuff.
I don't mean to be curt, but if you need to ask that, maybe you should have someone with a little experience help you with your first brake job. Messing around with the brakes is no time to make any mistakes with something that may save your life.

To answer your question; if the E-brake is on. they will put pressure on the brake drums themselves and not allow you to slide the drum off.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 02:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have been searching for how to do this and besides everyone saying "use a hammer", I haven't found any information.
First I have not done drum brakes in a long time and I don't remember them being this difficult to even get started.
I know I have to move the shoes away from the drum. So is this done by turning the adjusting wheel towards you away from the car, or having it turn towards the inside wheel well? I can't tell, no matter what way I turn it, it seems to spin with the same amount of drag.
Second I found one post that states to take off the dust cap and then the axle nut. Not sure if this is true but I recently dealt with a Hyundai that the rotors come off this way. Even if I had to do this I can't even get the cap to come off, never have I had this many issues with things coming off. Any special way than just using a screw driver and a hammer?
I have been out there messing around for a while now thinking I would be done by now and I haven't even gotten 1 drum off. any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by xschx; 18 Jul 2010 at 02:37 pm.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

xschx,

I know it's frustrating, but if you can get the wheel spinning, as you say you are, the brake shoes aren't your problem. If they were tight onto the drum, it' wouldn't be spinning. Your problem is probably rust. Rust built up around the center hub and the bolts that hold the lug nuts. (don't touch the hub, that won't help a bit). A hammer, as some of us have mentioned, is your best tool. All the mechanic use it. It loosens the hold that the rust has on the parts I mentioned. Also make sure there's no lock washer on any of the bolts. Sometimes they are put on at the factory to hold the drum while going down the assembly line and one or two might still be on there.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 05:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I replaced my rear drums on my 2001 PT last week due to excessive rust. Also wanted to check shoes with 80,000 miles.
Here is what I encountered...Removed the small washers that are on three of the lugs. Use blaster on the center hub. Insert a larger type screw driver between backing plate & drum. Put pressure on screw driver and beat with a larger type ballpine hammer. This will get the drum loose until it starts to get stuck on the shoes. The reason for this happening is due to the inside of the drum gets worn down and developes a ridge on the outer edge that the shoes can't get past.
I then used an old fashioned brake adusting tool and inserted it between the drum and the shoe. By putting pressure on the tool will cause the shoe to retract and allow it to get over the ridge in the drum. From there it's all muscle.
After removing the drum discovered the entire inside of drum was rust & corrosion. I also had purchased a new set of shoes, but after cleaning and sanding the surface of the old shoes and measuring the thickness of the new ones, found that the old shoes were only a little less than 1/8 th of an inch thinner than the new ones.
Needless to say I didn't replace the old shoes, put on the new drums and everything is fine. Even stopped squeeking. They'll last till I get rid of it.