Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 Vert handling/noise problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2010, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 Vert handling/noise problems

I have an 05 Turbo vert. I bought it last summer with 94,000 on it knowing it needed some suspension work. Just turned 100,000 miles. In the past 6 months I have replaced both lower ball joints, control arm bushings with energy suspension, sway bar links and bushings, both outer tie rod ends, all the struts and shocks with upper mounts, The ps upper motor mount, and 4 new goodyear eagles. The problem being is the car still has a terrible shudder when going over bumps. It also feels like it wants to wander on the freeway and pulls when accelerating. It also handles really funny, anything over 35 mph on a cloverleaf and it feels unsafe. The 07 sedan we have drives completely different. Any ideas? I'm at my wits end with it.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 11:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 05 Vert handling/noise problems

What about springs? You could have a broken spring or spring seat. You're wandering could be an alignment issue. Did you get a 4-wheel alignment after all your suspension work?

Are you sure all your tires are balanced properly?

You listed everything you did to the front, did you replace everything in the rear suspension as well?
Old 20 Mar 2010, 06:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Springs were fine when I put in new struts and it has new upper mounts also. I had a front alignment done only as none of the rear suspension was changed. I had them re balance and rotate the tires also. Everything in the rear is tight, so I just put new shocks in. I'm thinking it has to be something in the steering linkage or rack, when I hit a bump the wheel shakes and the car shudders. I was thinking rack, but the steering is tight no play. I'm going to check the rack mount bolts next and also the k frame for cracks or loose mounts.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 09:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Have you checked your wheel bearings?

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Has 2 new wheel bearings also, forgot to add that.

I changed the oil and tranny fluid today, so I gave it a thorough go through again. Nothing is loose or broken on the steering or suspension. I think I'll try a 4 wheel alignment next.

I disconnected the battery to change the prndl(nuetral safety/back up) switch in the tranny because I had no back up lights and now the windows and top don't operate. I read that it has to reset itself after being disconnected, so hopefully that works. But I still have no back up lights I checked all the fuses and bulbs before I did it, but it has to be a wiring problem somewhere now.