Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clapping or flapping Noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2010, 11:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clapping or flapping Noise

I am new to this forum and I appologize upfront that this is another noise question
I have a 2006 PT Cruiser with about 60000 miles and lately I noticed a clapping noise (like those clapping hands for new years) when I drive at a certain stretch of highway.
Yesterday I drove down a street with my windows open and the noise was extremely loud. It reminded me of something wrapped around the axle and hitting the pavement.
I stopped the car, got out and looked under - but could not see anything.
I know it is not coming from the engine - when I stop at a traffic light the noise is gone and then I hear it coming back slowly, as I accelerate and the wheels get faster. I also had the car in park and hit the accelerator and there was no noise.
This morning I heard it when I left my apartment, but about 5 minutes down the road the noise was gone.
I am completely puzzled. Any ideas anyone? Thanks!
Old 26 Mar 2010, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Clapping or flapping Noise

Welcome to the forum.

Noise like that is hard to pinpoint but you might have something wrapped around one of the front axles or some of the black plastic cladding has come loose and when the wind hits it just right it flaps.

You might take somebody with you in the back seat and they can lean out each side and help narrow down which side it's coming from. If you have a friendly place that has a lift, get it up in the air to get a look at everything under there for something loose.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the welcome and the answer.
I was thinking anlong the same lines, because there is no vibration, pull on the steering wheel or other sign that something might be loose. I drive 2 1/2 hours every day and the car drives and feels the same as always.
But, I am not a mechanic and I might be very wrong. So I am going to check this out this weekend and hopefully it is just somthing like that.
Thanks again
Old 27 Mar 2010, 09:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I noise gone? You could have driven over something, like a piece of truck inner tube, it got caught underneath and it has worked it's way loose....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Mar 2010, 09:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have been driving home on Fridayfrom work and yesterday and there was no noise anymore. My husband, who was standing outside did not hear anything unusual. So I guess it really was something that was trapped underneath. Thanks everybody!