Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shocks Strut help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2010, 04:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Shocks Strut help

Am looking for info on front and rear shocks am thinking of changing them I would like to change them my self or try anyways but the info i keep finding is on how to lower your PTC witch i dont want to do and if there are any videos I never changed any like to try it .

Am told the back ones are far easy to change then the front ones am thinking of doing the back ones first .The one thing I dont want to do is to lower it driving on snow is a pain.

One more thing is there a better bran then what the crysler dealers ship would sell me?

I have a 2004 pt cruiser non turbo
Old 03 Apr 2010, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Shocks Strut help

A lot of us went with TOKICO struts and shocks.

Yes the rear are simple. Jack the car up, take the rear wheel off and you can see how the shocks attach to the upper and lower part of the car.

The front struts are a different matter because the struts are inside the springs. You need specialized equipment and the springs are under pressure so not knowing what your doing could get you hurt. You'll also probably need an alignment after replacing the front struts.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 08:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the info . I did call up chrysler dealer ship total with labor and parts
896.00 if i can do part of it am hoping to lower that price..

Did not ask if i could buy the parts my self and have them install them that would same me some more $$$.

I would like to learn how to change the front ones that be great i guess ill have to take it in for that.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't take it to Chrysler if that's what they are going to charge !!!!!!

I bought everything myself on-line. Did the rears myself and had a shop do the fronts for $50. Then had a 4-wheel alignment for $89 and everything runs great. $800+ is highway robbery without a gun.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 10:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Did i for get to say i live in Alaska thats onther reason things cost so much i would take it in to a local shop I hate to say this but Every single time i take my car in to a shop they Alway frack some thing up every single time.

Thats why i was thinking about taking it to the dealer ship..

Thanks again.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 01:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hope it's not too late and you haven't taken it in yet!

For the front struts, all you need is to rent a spring compressor from auto zone or get some other type of super sturdy clamp (not hard to find, just don't use a tied up shirt...).

Take your tire off.

Remove the grounding strap (10mm wrench)

Remove the 2 bolts connecting the strut base to the steering knuckle (13/16")

Remove the 3 retaining nuts in the engine compartment (13mm wrench)

Pull the strut out.

Compress the spring using said compressor until the top plate is loose, doesn't have to be completely compressed, but far enough to work with.

Take a 1/4" drive 10mm socket on a 3" extension, take a 13/16th sparkplug socket. Put the 10mm socket on the top of the strut (the bolt on the very top), it won't touch the threads, but will lock onto the strut. Bring down the 13/16" over the top of it and slide the extension in through the back into the 10mm. (10mm on first, 13/16" over it, extension in through the back). Hold the 10mm steady and back the 13/16" off.

Remove the nut, slide the pieces off (make mental note of how they were on and in what order), replace the strut and reverse everything.

It may sound complicated, but once you see it and start, it's really quite simple.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 02:38 am
Regular Cruiser

AM doing the back ones my self or I tryed it to day and failed I didint have the right tools broke my 1/2 " rachett and was unable to brake lose the 7/8 nuts holding the rear shocks Its snowing tonight so i wont get a chance to try it for a few days .

as for the tools for the front i dont have and we dont have a auto zone I live in the bush Valdez AK we have to drive 640 miles round trip to Anchorage to find any thing we might need (shops, mechanics so on) onther reason things cost so much.

as for me to do it my self am a Novice I read the books but have no hands on when i jump in and do it I notice thats theres a trick to every thing some thing the repair books dont have thats were i wast more time and second guess what am doing. I ll have to pay a shop to do the front ones.

But thanks for your info.