PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Watts-Link or Bellcrank Replacement

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2010, 08:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Watts-Link or Bellcrank Replacement

Hey, how do you know if its only the bell crank that needs to be replaced or the bell crank and the watt link bars that need to be replaced?
Also are the watt link bars a dealership only part?
Thank
Old 20 Oct 2010, 08:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTroy View Post
Hey, how do you know if its only the bell crank that needs to be replaced or the bell crank and the watt link bars that need to be replaced?
Also are the watt link bars a dealership only part?
Thank
Lift on jackstand as high as you can, and wiggle them..if its only the bellcrank only i will really move...and to make sure, when its lifted, grab the bars and wiggle them.... thats my opinion, i migh be mistaken..but i dont think so ol

To hell with all religions!

Yes my baby is stock, for now!
Old 20 Oct 2010, 09:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

So jack the rear end up grab the links that lead to the bell crank in the middle and wiggle it if it wiggles alot its the bell crank? I mean besides looking rusty there seems to be no cracks or holes in them. How much do places normally cost to replace the bell crank only. I was just nervous that I'd take my car in somewhere for them to replace the bell crank only to have them see the watts link bars were bad to and then theyd have to be ordered and then id be carless until they got them.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 09:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTroy View Post
So jack the rear end up grab the links that lead to the bell crank in the middle and wiggle it if it wiggles alot its the bell crank? I mean besides looking rusty there seems to be no cracks or holes in them. How much do places normally cost to replace the bell crank only. I was just nervous that I'd take my car in somewhere for them to replace the bell crank only to have them see the watts link bars were bad to and then theyd have to be ordered and then id be carless until they got them.
I hear ya! id say they gonna charge an hour's or so worth of work plus the crank...to give you an idea, for me woudve cost: the crank (90) job (70) so 160 or so, plus tax all canadian.....id say to do ityourself , but you do need acces to speacil tools.... its darn easy but need the tools.....sorry friend

Old 20 Oct 2010, 09:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think my buddy tried with his and said the bolt wouldnt come out, not sure from where though, is there a similar bell crank in the front of the car?
Old 17 Nov 2010, 08:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

FYI 22mm on a 2001, was WAY big. 13/16 socket fit like a glove. 1 owner car, not a replaced bolt. Just finished with the crank and replaced both links since the balloons were split. Took about an hour and a half. Some hammering was required.

Around 100k is when mine got clanky... Great sticky, very helpful
Old 19 Nov 2010, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Watts-Link or Bellcrank Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by twress View Post
I had a loud clunk sound coming from the rear end of my 02 LE woody I just bought.....

I am also having that loud clunk coming from the back when I go over a bump!
I am looking to do the repairs myself.
Wondering if you guys could help me choose what are the best parts to get.
Is the 5.8106 Bushing Set the correct set of busings for the Watts linkage?
I would like to replace the bushings in the watts linkage and on the end of the two bars that extend to the frame/tires.
I am assuming that there are 4-5 total bushins. One for each link arm end, and three for the watts linkage??

Any help would be so very helpful.

Here are two sites that I am looking at...which ones should I get?
Energy Suspension 5.8106 Rear Watts Link Bushings
or...
Energy Suspension 11.7102 Rear Watts Link Set

Should I also replace the Watts link itself?
It doesnt seem to be damaged...it just wiggles a lot in place. I believe the bushing are shot.
As a matter of fact, all of my bushins are shot.
I am also looking to replace the sway bar link bushings in the back, as well. Any ideas on that would also be very helpful.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!!
Old 20 Nov 2010, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just order the bellcrank and both lateral links from RockAuto.com. Half the price of anyone else and great service. Replace everything-its much easier.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 06:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

i am looking at replacing this bushing now for the fourth time. not too happy about it. Is there a better fix then just replacing the part. I am running low on patience and don't want to get rid of the car(my wife's she loves it) but i don't want to keep replacing it every 6 months. car only has 65k miles on it and like i said we have broke/worn out 3 already and if anything i am going to fix it and pass the problem on to the next guy. options i have considered are building a 4-link and removing bell crank all together, removing bellcrank and adding sway bar, removing bellcrank and see how far it makes it and leave keys in the ignition and walk away.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 06:05 am
Regular Cruiser

mine is getting quite tired also, i bought the master kit frm energysuspension..gonna replace the bushing in the bellcranck with polyurethane.........