Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hatch lock rattles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2010, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hatch lock rattles

Hi! I am new here. My name is Rebecca. I have a 2006 PT Cruiser and I just started noticing that my hatch lock rattles if I go over a bump. Can I fix it or does a mechanic have to?

Thank you!
Old 17 Apr 2010, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hatch lock rattles

Welcome to the Forum, Rebecca. Are you sure it is your latch? Some have found a rattle was: watts link, gas tube vent tube or the spare tire. Not saying that it isn't but have you checked those other items.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Apr 2010, 08:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yup, I am sure it is the hatch lock. But thanks for making me look closer. I did a few experiments, just to make sure.
Old 19 May 2010, 10:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Rebecca--cool name (it's my daughter's name, also). Today I pulled the rear hatchback cover, looking for a "rattling" noise when I turned sharply or stopped abruptly in my PT. I didn't find the cause of the rattle. But I did find something unexpected. If you get someone with strong fingers to evenly, easily wedge off the hatchback cover, you will see two threaded posts attached to your hatchback lock. These posts screw into two black plactic female threaded tabs. The tabs are split in two--but hinged as they wrap around the male threaded posts. One of the locking tabs may have come loose--causing one of the posts to rattle. Just press the locking tab (of the tab) tightly together around the male post. This may cure your rattle.

Tim