Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
air ride

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2010, 04:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default air ride

to all running air ride, can anyone lay out? What size wheels are you running? And lets see some pics please.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 06:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: air ride

Hey dwoah,

Welcome to the Forum.

A lot depends on how you want to go about the drop. If you want to go with a body kit to get the added drop you can just add bags and the kit and get it to look like its laid out without much problem, which is fine and all, but to me its not truly laid out unless you actually have it dropped down without the use of a body kit. Here is an example of air ride with a body kit.

The only other way which I know has been done on two PT's I know of is to actually cut and relocate the front strut towers in front, and cut the rear floor and completely reconfigure the rear end to give the proper drop. To give you a better idea on the rear end process, here is a post by another Member here that recently did it. Here is a Link with several photos. Just scroll down to about the half way mark and you will see them.

PT GOT LAID

As for Pic's, here is most likely the first one known to have been done which is not fully laid out, but is amongst one of the lowest to date. It is riding on 19"s I believe. This is believed to be one of the only pics left of it which was very small so sorry bout the poor quality. Anyways,

Next is the one from Big Ryan which is the one in the Link above which is also pretty much as far down as I have seen to date. I believe Ryan is tucking 18"s in front, and 20"s in the rear which to me is a pretty sick combo with that low of a drop.

Here is mine so far just sitting on bags so far with a ground clearance of 3.50" when dropped. I already have plans though to reconfigure my current set up to shave the bottom lip and lay mine out completely flat on the rockers here not too far in the distant future. Mine is still riding on the stock 17's for now, but my goal is to try to lay it out on 20"s all the way around. Anyways, here is mine where it sits currently first.

And here is a shopped pic of closer to where I want mine when its all said and done which would be basically sitting on the bottom lip before shaving it off to completely lay it out.

As a side note, before I did my bags I used to play around with springs. After first starting with a set of the Goldline Super Slammers which are still the lowest kit available at a 2.75" x 3.25 drop, I still wound up with a significant rake so I opted to take matters into my own hands and made my own set with a full 3" x 5" drop which leveled my ride out, and gave it a drop which was 1/2" above where mine now sits on air with the bags fully out. Shortly after I made four more sets for friends of which my last set was sold a few months back. Here is the result.

One of the biggest obstacles at the moment is parts. One of the only kits I know of that is still in production is Air Lift which I have heard some good, and some bad on as far as the struts, and bag set up go. As for everything else, I would recommend going with two Viair Compressors, a 5 gallon tank, and I would go more so for hard lining it if you can verses going with the regular lines. I am running an Air Ride Tech Kit which is no longer made. Here is a pic of a PT with the Air Lift Kit. It does sit a little lower than mine, but the Owner said he was not as happy with the kit itself, and it was not as comfortable of a ride over the Air Ride Tech Kit. Anyways, here is what the stance looks like.

Anyways, that should be about it as far as I know on air ride. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask me anytime and I will be more than happy to try to help answer anything anytime as best I can.

Go easy, and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 20 Apr 2010 at 06:28 pm.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 09:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: air ride

I ordered the back half of the kit from suicidedoors.com and from what I'm seeing I'm al most as low as most of the bagged cruisers. I've had the car for 5 1/2 years now and have been lowered the entire time with eibach springs which I took a round outta the front and a round and a half outta the back about a year ago to get a little lower. I'm just not happy with the current height and want it lower you know. Thanks for all the info by the way! I've put air ride on a couple of trucks in the past and thought the PT would look good laid out so I'm gonna give it a whirl, lol. Might end up putting the stockers back on to see how much closer that will get me. The 18's look good but I want low for the moment, lol. Again thanks for the info.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 04:39 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to BigRyan Send a message via Yahoo to BigRyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoah View Post
I ordered the back half of the kit from suicidedoors.com and from what I'm seeing I'm al most as low as most of the bagged cruisers. I've had the car for 5 1/2 years now and have been lowered the entire time with eibach springs which I took a round outta the front and a round and a half outta the back about a year ago to get a little lower. I'm just not happy with the current height and want it lower you know. Thanks for all the info by the way! I've put air ride on a couple of trucks in the past and thought the PT would look good laid out so I'm gonna give it a whirl, lol. Might end up putting the stockers back on to see how much closer that will get me. The 18's look good but I want low for the moment, lol. Again thanks for the info.
well since you have some sence of fab work you can do the PT, i was in the same situation i rolled on my pt bagged low as HELL but not laying for the longest and hated it because it just didnt lay, after a while i decided to take it down, the primer one laying flate on 18/20s its about 1/4 off the pinch but i tell you working on a truck and to these cars are 2 totaly diffrent worlds, its tooken me over a month getting all my sheetmetal ready to install and weld up, but i am anal about how i mount my stuff so that may have something to do with it...
But never the less its not impossible to make them lay its just a bitch, and depends on how bad you want to cut it up...
the white pt is laying on 18s in that photo but was setup for 17s so the rear doesnt fully lay on it, they didnt go thru with the tubing..
as for as mine it is on 18/20s but i can with a little more triming and adjusting id could stick 20s under the front, but i really dont like how it looks on the 20s up front, it keeps more of the model A wagon look to it on the 18s and 20s after all thats what they were modeled off of.. so if you have any questions hit me up be glad to let you know, but mainly everything i did i tell about on that thread candyman posted....

Old 05 May 2010, 09:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the comment Big Ryan. I don't see much of a problem in the rear of the car, but in the front how much did you have to add to the strut towers? The only problem I'm foreseeing is shaping and getting it to look right. I've never really dealt much with strut towers so any advice would be greatly hopeful. By the way your PT is absolutely SICK, I love it. Coming over from the minitruckin world, anything lay'd out that took some work I have to respect. Keep up the work!
Old 06 May 2010, 01:33 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to BigRyan Send a message via Yahoo to BigRyan

Shit I am still a minitrucker just cus you own a minitruck doesn't make you any less of a minitrucker just depends on how you style your ride.. But the rear is a little more of a pain than what you think or at least on a 20" it is. But the front we raised it bout 2 3/4 inches took some 3/16th thick 3" or 4" flatbar I can't remeber which and bendt it to shape and raise it and welded it in.. I had a little help from a couple friends that have a little more exsperance in working with struts help me with it so the front went smoother with them. But the front was done in probably bout a total of 10-12 hrs but I bet I had at least 30 hrs in building the axle and tubing the body..and still working on the floorpan but getting alot more detailed with it..Hope that helps and if I get time I'll snap some pics on my phone a and postem..

Old 06 May 2010, 07:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: air ride

Hey their dwoah,

Sounds like your ride is already pretty far down their on springs. Do you by any chance have some good pic's of where it is sitting on the springs? More out of curiosity than anything. I got really into trying to messing around with springs a while back after I dropped mine on the Goldline Super Slammers which I was under the impression would level out my ride height only to find out after I got them on that I still had a little over 2" of actual rake.

So I got in with a buddy of mine who CAD designes and builds suspension systems for off road Baja Trophy Trucks to help get the suspension to where I wanted it to sit. SO we went and calibrated it to where we wanted the body height to be using the stock 17" wheels as our guide, changed up the progressive wind of the springs, and finally arrived at a full 3" x 5" custom drop which leveled the body height at 4" at all four corners with 3.50" under both the front and rear bumper most center point excluding the front lip.

Without a doubt the look was pretty decent with the front tires sitting 1/4" off the tires, which was just enough to where you were not able to squeeze a finger between the tire and wheel well, and the rear fender lip sat exactly level with the lip of the wheel itself while tucking the remainder of tire back up into the wheel well where is should be on a dropped PT IMHO.

The only downside as with most any hardcore drop shop Guy knows is the ride usually sucks at a decent ride height as was mine which even though we crunched the numbers, and di the homework, we still wound up at roughly 3/4" of travel in the rear, and pretty much non existent travel up front which meant if you wanted to Cruise anywhere more than around the block you better have a good seat belt, and maybe a helmet (kidding) but she was a bit bouncy once in a while. Here is a side shot at where mine sat on the springs.

The only concern I usually have when discussing dropping a ride usually winds up coming back to discussing cutting the springs. The back spring I am usually less concerned with as they are not normally as critical, but I have really seen some real nightmares where people have actually used a cutting torch to heat up the spring while cutting rather than using a chop saw to cut off a coil or so forth which big time compromises the strength of the tempered steel to the point where they could potentially easily fail, or cutting the top of a coil in a manner that would not allow it to seat correctly in the cup, or wind up being slightly off in measurement from the opposite side which would throw the geometry of the suspension off, and on and on, that I still get a bit jumpy over the thought of chopping springs sometimes. The bigger thing that scares me the most though is cutting the front springs as out of the three people I know that have cut them specifically on their PT's, have all eventually either come dislodges from the strut, or have actually broken about mid point at a week structural point on the spring which was carrying more load than it was meant to be at an odd point, and not seating correctly in its proper mount which forced it to fail. Out of those three, two people wound up rolling their PT's over the cut front springs which both failed at the same point. The third guy who was actually a Member here on the Forums when he cut his against my advice, and one day shortly their after was traveling at a low speed when it happened and luckily got away with just front end damage to his PT.

Not that this would happen to your ride their dwoah, as it sounds like you did it right, and have had it done for some time so things should be good to go, but for any other people who are thinking about cutting their springs, please be extra, extra careful as playing around with modifying your suspension is very serious business, and I hate to see anyone wreck, or become seriously injured over this type of mod!

And to BigRyan,

I finally decided as soon as I get my new place, and get my small spray booth, and my small work shop set up with my lift, and everything done I am going to go ahead and shave my bottom lip on the sides of my PT smooth up to the rockers, and re-werk my suspension to lay it to the doors. Too bad I don't have unlimited funds to just go ahead and build a rear wheel drive tubular chassis with a Hemi in it and go ahead and cut the floor of my PT and body drop it to the ground. Then I would be happy with it. LOL But, back to reality I recon. I want to go with the suspension for sure instead of extending the rockers as I am just not sure on the look of it, and also really want to get her laying on the ground before I tear into the body and work down my list of body mods.

I still say we trade rides, you take my ride home with you and lay her out proper, and bring me a sketch, and lock me in the paint booth so I can get some sick color on that blank slate of yours.

If you could please post some of those pics of the front strut layout you got, I would like to see how you did it as well as I have been trying to mill over a few ideas myself not so much on how to get the clearance, but how to make it look clean while doing it.

Anyways, I also posted on trying to find you some Sponsors so you can make it out to Sema as well this year. I threw your name and pic's out to several of my friends in higher places, and though things are seriously tight right now, I will let you know if and when I hear something.

Anyways, you guys go way easy, like i say, any pics from dwoah for my archive on the dropped stance would be great, and any pics on the reworked strut towers from BigRyan would be great as well.

Stay cool, and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 08 May 2010, 08:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I measured when I switched from Eibachs in the front to Air Ride Tech stuts. The springs rode at the exact same height as the air struts completely deflated. I now have the Airlift stuts in the front. They are a good bit lower than the Air Ride Tech ones. I had to remove the inner fender and the pinchweld in the fender area will sit on the tire. I am planning on removing this and if necessary relocate the mounting plate to the top of the strut tower. This should be enough to put the xenon bumper on the ground.