Advertisements
CV Joint??

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2010, 11:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Angry CV Boot??

Edit: CV Boot..not Joint

I was quick-detailing my PT this morning when I noticed black gunk splattered from behind my front passenger side's rim. I looked between the spokes of my rim and saw that the gunk was on the 2 big bolts that you take out to remove the struts as well as other parts.

This past Tuesday with the help of my mechanic, I installed the front lowering springs. So when I took it to him this morning before work to analyze what that gunk was, he told me that it looks like the grease from the cv boot. He said it was a possibility that it got pinched during the springs installation.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

The PT still runs smoothly while driving, so it seems to be mild at the moment. If the cv boot did get damaged, where can I find a replacement? Would NAPA or Checkers be able to fetch one? I want to resolve this as soon as I can so that the grease doesn't settle in the inner lip of my rim making it a PITA to clean off.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 808; 02 May 2010 at 01:41 am.
Old 02 May 2010, 06:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CV Joint??

The CV (Driveaxle) boots are #7 in the picture below. Pretty close to the struts. It's possible it was damaged then, but you both worked on it, so did he say anything about splitting the cost of replacing it?

Yes, you can order the part at any good auto store but they will probably have to order it. I'd give you the part number but I'm up in Virginia visiting the grandkids and don't have my manual.

The cost of the boot will be nothing compared to the labor involved in replacing it so work out a deal with the mechanic since he might (but you can't prove it) be partly to blame.

Old 02 May 2010, 06:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thank you, Crewzin.

The auto shop that we have here in PMRF mainly has the customer doing the actual job themselves and if needed, the mechanics can assist. I hardly knew anything about the work that's involved until I started taking my PT there from rotating the tires to swapping out springs. With that being said, I only paid $3 for tire rotation, $60 to dismount my stock tires to remove the TPMS to put on the new rims/tires to then balance them, and $20 total to install the Eibach springs.

So I always go to that shop to not only save money, but to learn too.

I'll give NAPA and Checkers a call as soon as I can find the part#.

P.S. Have a safe and fun visit, Crewzin.
Old 02 May 2010, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks.
Old 03 May 2010, 08:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin,

Checkers and NAPA doesn't carry it nor can order it. I called my dealership and the service department said it would cost ~$124 and it'll take a week to get them in.

I did a Google under Shopping: cv boot pt cruiser and came across RAYBESTOS Part # 8161002 Front; Outer; Universal Solid Boot
RockAuto Parts Catalog

This is pretty much all I need right? If it is, then I will order the express shipping to Hawai`i and it'll still be cheaper and even faster than what the dealership wants.

What do you think??
Old 03 May 2010, 08:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Rock auto is a good place to deal with. Got all my timing belt parts from them. Sure sounds like that's the part your looking for.
Old 03 May 2010, 09:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Old 04 May 2010, 12:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Do you need the CV joint or the boot? I don't think you can get just the joint. I could be wrong, but unless you know how to rebuild a driveshaft, you need to just get the whole axle if you indeed need a new CV joint. I just replaced my driver's side axle with one from Advance Auto but it was bad right out of the box. (GSP brand) Many folks over at PTCrew recommended just getting the OEMaxle (~$200) but I couldn't get one while I was in town for the weekend. Now I get to do the job again....what a hassle.
Old 04 May 2010, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

He needs the boot.
Old 04 May 2010, 01:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yes, 03electricbluegt, just the boot. I was searching the forums and googling when I read about cv boot problems along with cv joint problems. So when I created this thread, the word "joint" was still in my head; hence, my Edit at the top.
Shiloe likes this.