Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problem installing strut correctly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2010, 10:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem installing strut correctly

Hi Guys. I've attempted to install my front struts multiple times over the last week....and thought I had done it correctly. Took the car in for an alignment...and the shop told me the strut were not installed correctly. I think that they are slightly rotated so their orientation is slightly off. I've reviewed the PT Cruiser service manual but still don't seem to know how to correctly line-up the struts so that are in the correct angle. I marked the original ones as they were removed....and tried to install the new struts in the same manner. I'm wondering if the struts I removed were possibly misaligned...because there was a popping sound when I went over bumps. I now have new struts and new strut mounts...and still have the popping sound. Got new control arms with new ball joints and new tie rod ends. I'm pretty sure the pop will disappear if I can get these struts installed correctly.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08 May 2010, 10:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Problem installing strut correctly

Pictures would be a great help. It sounds as if the geometry might be off or something. Did the shop provide you with any more information? If you were using the service manual during the entire process, I'd find it really hard to believe that you did something wrong, as it's extremely detailed, but sometimes we make mistakes. Like I said, if you could post some pictures, we might be of some more help.