Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lug nuts breaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2010, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lug nuts breaking

Almost every time I get any work done on my tires the dealership manages to break some of the lug nuts. They always say that the previous person didn't put them on straight. Anyone have this same problem?
Old 15 May 2010, 08:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lug nuts breaking

If the work is being done at the dealership, they must be cross threading them!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 May 2010, 06:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with Hooligan. The previous person, according to you was the dealership so they are at fault. Think about it: they are accusing themselves when they point the finger at the previous person. I don't think your going to find the same problem with others on this forum unless they happen to use the same dealership.
Old 16 May 2010, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I haven't had work done every time at the dealership. I think from now on I will take it to this dealership and then if they do it again I can tell them they were the last people to work on it.
Old 19 May 2010, 09:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

How odd? Ask anyone who's messing with your wheels to put the lugs on by hand--then wrench 'em down. I thought everyone did it that way ....
Old 26 Aug 2010, 11:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
-then wrench 'em down.
With a torque wrench. About 85 to 90 ft lbs.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

100 ft lbs are recommended.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Aug 2010, 12:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Indeed you will find lots of numbers depending on where you look. Tire Rack Wheel Torque Chart - Discount Tire, for instance, says 110. My figures were for threads the size and pitch used in the PT lugs. You also will find varying degrees of reduction required if the threads are lubed.

I'm assuming you are quoting the service manual. If so I would use your figures.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 09:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

I once had a problem on the mustang we owned. Car was brand new and bought new wheels/tires for it. Had them installed at a local shop and around a week later, noticed i was missing a stud (was there when i left tire shop though).

Went to remove the wheel to fix stud and couldnt get one lug nut off. It was cross threaded so bad, it stripped the splines off the stud and would go round and round but not loosen. Finally got it off and replaced it too.

So fast forward and time for the first rotation which was free at the same shop. Instead of staying in the waiting room, I went around to the service bays and told the head guy to be careful as they messed up my studs when they installed the wheels before. He said no problem we ALWAYS hand start the nuts and only use air tools to snug them, then use torque wrenchs so it couldn't have been us.........

BUT didnt mention anything to the guy that was removing my wheels to rotate them. I then saw this kid stick a lug nut inside the socket and cram it onto the stud (crossthreaded the hell out of it). I then yelled at him to stop and brought it to the attention of the shop manager.

He then said he would go and get all new studs and replace them himself at no charge. So after he did do that, i left and have not been back since. Now i remove my wheels and take them to get the tires put on and do my my own rotations.

They dont like it and most have signs up "due to insurance....) but i never let any of my cars out of my sight for what little work i dont do myself.

You never know what they do while your not watching.