Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 GT Replacement Rims?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2010, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 GT Replacement Rims?

Hi, I am new to the forum, and I did several searches, but could not find a thread that answered my specific question:
We have a 2004 GT with stock chrome 5 spoke wheels. We live in PA and the wheels have corroded so badly they will not hold air; a common problem from what I read. We want to purchase 4 new wheels (stock are 17") at a reasonable cost & not chrome. I have a couple questions, besides the obvious, what do you think is the best wheel...
1) Does material/finish make a difference - Mag, Alloy, Polished, Painted, etc..
2) What is a "Center Ring," and is it better to get wheels that do not require one? I see Centerline Wheels do not require ones whereas a couple American Racing ones ship them with the wheel.
3) Can anybody recommend one brand over another for quality, durability, pricing, etc.??
THANK You so much in advance....Cory
Old 17 May 2010, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 GT Replacement Rims?

Welcome to the forums.
1) I have had the silver painted wheels on both my PTs and they have been excellent - I just wax them with the rest of the car - I think they are the most durable. My daughter and son-in-law each have the chrome, and the chrome discolors, pits, flakes, and in general is a pain.
2) the PT wheels are "hub-centric" - the center hole sits on the hub and centers the wheel - look and you'll see a "lip". A center ring is an adapter for a wheel that is not hub-centric to make it fit.
3) I think your best bet is TireRack.com - they have software that determines which wheels fit and you can browse there and then either buy there or at least decide what you want and buy them elsewhere.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 May 2010, 01:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 GT Replacement Rims?

Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate your time and educating me.