PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Groan/creaking sound when turning wheel right (front right wheel)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2010, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Groan/creaking sound when turning wheel right (front right wheel)

Howdy Folks -

I'm hearing a groan/creaking sound coming from around the front right wheel when turning right at a slow speed (i.e.: coming to and/or leaving a stop sign with the intention of turning right). This also happened a few times while parked with the car on. When I hear this sound I can sometimes reproduce it by turning the steering wheel slightly left/right at the sweet spot at which it occurs.

[EDIT] Oh, to add some context *if* it helps any. I just came back from a weekend drive with a ton of curves, switchbacks, steep hills, etc. CA Highway 1. This sound started on the trip back home.

Any ideas? Thoughts or suggestions?

2002 pt / 69,200 miles

Thanks!
2k2tpc

Last edited by 2k2ptc; 31 May 2010 at 09:41 pm.
Old 01 Jun 2010, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Groan/creaking sound when turning wheel right (front right wheel)

Welcome to the forum.
My bet is a bushing.
Get under the car with a can of silicone spray and spray the bushings and see if noise goes away - then you have choice of living with the noise or having bushings replaced.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jun 2010, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks quicksilverdon. Glad to be here : ) I'm going to give your guess a whirl. Will keep you updated.
Old 07 Jun 2010, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi,
I've got almost exactly the same problem.
Mine started a while ago with a noise that would only occur on say 10% of times I pulled away quickly while turning right. Then the other weekend, I took it for a fairly quick drive along some twisty roads and noticed I started to get a creak/goran noise from the front right, accompanied by a slight vibration through the steering wheel when I was going round the right hand curves.
After having a good look round, I found one of the wishbone bushes (on the left) wasn't where it should be...

This is the one on the right (which looks kinda ok)

This is the one on the left:

Gave them a soaking with silicon spray for now and after its soaked in for a couple of days, the creaking seems to have quietened down a little.

Should be getting poly bushes put on next weekend for the wishbones and front anti-roll bar.
Hopefully that will sort the problem out and the poly bushes will last a bit longer (car is under 4 years old with 20,000 miles).

2006 PT Cruiser Limited
Old 07 Jun 2010, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A couple of us are on the UK PT Cruiser site and the "bushes" as it's called over there is one of the biggest complaints as far as having to replace in a few short years. Maybe it's your damp weather.
Old 07 Jun 2010, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Maybe it's your damp weather.
Quite possibly - along with the state of our roads

I think the PT must have been designed with straight, smooth roads in mind, not twisty, crater ridden ones.
Oh well, small price to pay for having a cool and different car.

Actually, "small" is probably not the right word by the time you take into account our 'road tax' of between 215 and 425 ($315 and $620) a year and our $6.40 gallon...

2006 PT Cruiser Limited
Old 01 Sep 2012, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 03 pt has this if I slightly turn the wheel either way. Sitting or driving. Also going over bumps. Groans and creaks and squeaks. Does the silicone spray work? What about spray lithium grease? Can either be bought at the auto store? Thanks.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 10:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Control arm bushing.

Or strut mount :-)
Old 02 Sep 2012, 10:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
A couple of us are on the UK PT Cruiser site and the "bushes" as it's called over there is one of the biggest complaints as far as having to replace in a few short years. Maybe it's your damp weather.
I have to replace mine every $25k whether i want to or not :-D

Tags
creak, front end noise, groan, sound, turn wheel