Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
KYB Shocks, rear suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2010, 07:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default KYB Shocks, rear suspension

I just finished installing KYB rear shocks on my 01 Cruiser. I was told by several different tire shops that my shocks were due to be replaced due to the cupping on my rear tires. I am not sure it was the right move or perhaps I just picked the wrong shock, because these KYB's seem much softer than the shocks that were on the car (not stock, but i can't identify a brand).

When performing the bounce test, the previous shocks basically had about one bounce before settling in, whereas these KYB's bounce at least twice. I am not sure if that is best way to measure anything, but I also noticed on the highway it seemed a bit bouncier. This seems to defeat the whole purpose of new shocks as I thought the problem with the cupping was caused by the rear end bouncing excessively and the shocks losing their dampening ability.

I am wondering if the rear tire issue was really caused by other rear suspension components being bad. I know the bell crank needs to be replaced. Any ideas?
Old 09 Jun 2010, 10:24 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: KYB Shocks, rear suspension

The bad bell crank will allow the whole rear suspension to shift side to side which IMO would be the culprit with the cupping tires. I replaced the bell crank as well as the lateral links on mine and it made a huge difference in ride and handling.
Old 09 Jun 2010, 11:25 am
Senior Cruiser

I removed the watts pivot and trashed one of the lateral links. I have 2 new ones on order.

The center pivot(goes to the pivot point on the trailing arm) on the watts linkage was worn, slop in the center bushing.

Per the lateral links, the tie rod part on the two I removed seem awful sloppy and since I couldnt unthread the nut off one, I ordered 2 new repalcements. I guess I will find out how much play their is on the ends.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 24 Jun 2010, 08:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just finished driving the car several thousand miles on vacation, while the suspension still seems a little softer than I prefer, it doesn't feel as bad as I initially thought. Perhaps I am just getting used to it.

I also checked the Watts linkage and bell crank, and even though the boot is torn on the bell crank, everything feels pretty tight. I know at one point in the past when I had checked it, there was a lot of slop on it. I am thinking perhaps a mechanic tightened up the bolt on the bell crank during one of its trips to the tire shop and just failed to mention it to me, or maybe there is another reason. The watts linkage/bell crank, certainly seem tight enough to me at this point, but perhaps they move more under load.