PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! I am buying new rims and am a bit clueless...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2010, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Help! I am buying new rims and am a bit clueless...

Currently on my 2003 PT Cruiser GT I have 17" alloy wheels that are leaking like crazy and wreaking havoc on my wheels. What I am trying to do is go down to either a 15" or 16" wheel that won't corrode like these do and will stand up to the elements. I live in Denver and the winters can be pretty tortorous sometimes... I read a few posts about clearance for brakes and other things, would I even be able to put the smaller wheels on my car? Any and all help would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08 Jun 2010, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help! I am buying new rims and am a bit clueless...

I believe the 17 inch GT wheel has a 35mm offset (Thanks MG) and as long as you buy wheels with that offset, and of course the 5X100 bolt pattern, you will be good to go when putting smaller wheels on the GT.
Old 09 Jun 2010, 05:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I believe the 17 inch GT wheel has a 35mm offset (Thanks MG) and as long as you buy wheels with that offset, and of course the 5X100 bolt pattern, you will be good to go when putting smaller wheels on the GT.
Sorry, not true. It depends on the design of the back of the wheel. The GT has fatter brake disks than normal PTs and the brake calipers stick out more.

TireRack has an option for "winter wheels" - and if you put in that you have a GT, it'll only show the 15 or 16" wheels that fit - you don't have to buy from Tire Rack, but it'll help locate the right wheels...
I have alloy wheels painted silver, and on botth my '02 and '05 PT they have been totally trouble-free. The chrome on my daughter's and son-in-laws GTs is terrible - flaking off, pitting....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 09 Jun 2010 at 05:52 am.
Old 09 Jun 2010, 11:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Help! I am buying new rims and am a bit clueless...

Thanks so much! This really does help! Oh, and one more question and this might show just how clueless I really am about all of this... But when I do find the wheels and tires what will happen if I end up with the wrong ones? Will they just not fit at all, or will they go on and mess up my car? Thanks again!
Old 10 Jun 2010, 03:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisergirl03 View Post
Thanks so much! This really does help! Oh, and one more question and this might show just how clueless I really am about all of this... But when I do find the wheels and tires what will happen if I end up with the wrong ones? Will they just not fit at all, or will they go on and mess up my car? Thanks again!
If you end up with anything other than the 5x100 bolt pattern, you won't be able to even get the wheel over your lugs.

If your wheels have a width of 9" or wider, or have an offset higher than about +42, then your wheel will rub your suspension. You have to be able to turn the steering wheel completely left and right while the car is moving without your struts grinding the inner part of your front tires.
Note: I used that width and offset number as a rough estimate. Some wheels that are 8.5" wide might not fit with a +42 offset.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey cool, I like the wheels in your pic. What are they? I (as does everyone with a GT ) have a problem with leaking tires on those piece of crap wheels that come standard on the cars. Thanks, Bill
Old 21 Jun 2010, 07:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Sorry, not true. It depends on the design of the back of the wheel. The GT has fatter brake disks than normal PTs and the brake calipers stick out more.
Very true. Even if the size, width, offset, etc...say it will work, on the GT it may need spacers and or/grinding the caliper bracket to work. Your probably safe it specifically list the GT. If it only list PT cruiser, then beware it probably WONT just bolt up with out hitting the brake caliper and/or bracket.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 02:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvour04ptgt View Post
Hey cool, I like the wheels in your pic. What are they? I (as does everyone with a GT ) have a problem with leaking tires on those piece of crap wheels that come standard on the cars. Thanks, Bill
Mine? 18" Axis Widetracks
Old 22 Jun 2010, 12:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm running 18x8.5's with a 35mm offset on an 01, (obviously not a GT) but in my opinion, you'd be better off shopping for a set of rims you LIKE and have them fitted (possibly with spacers) than to be forced to pick from a set that "FIT", which you will really have no way of knowing until you buy them, and you'll eventually drive yourself crazy trying to calculate your clearances with a certain offset or rim width. Like everyone's said above, wheel manufacturers all have different standards of production, and so it's sort of like buying a new pair of pants or shoes-- you KNOW you're one size with brand "A", but if you're forced to buy brand "B", you're gonna have to try it on to see if it fits, because it may not be your size-- get what I'm saying? So, as I said above, find a set that you like that have a 5x100 bolt pattern and a 35mm offset, and if they fit, great, and if you have to use spacers, that's an extremely small cost to have a set of wheels you love as opposed to a set that just fit. And there's always a chance that you'll wind up finding a set you love that also fit..

Old 22 Jun 2010, 03:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisergirl03 View Post
Any and all help would be really appreciated. Thanks!
This is my so called winter wheels......oh I forgot I don't drive my car in the winter.

Summer wheels and tires

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit