PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Which wheel bearing/hub assembly do I need?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2010, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Which wheel bearing/hub assembly do I need?

I have an '02 PT Cruiser Touring with the 2.4L DOHC. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I know my driver's side front wheel bearing needs replacing. It's sounding pretty rough, so I'm just planning to replace the whole hub at the same time. I have a mechanic to help press the bearing/hub/knuckle together. I just need the parts. On rockauto.com and just about every other parts store, including the dealership, there are listed two different assemblies. One is 33mm and the other is 39mm. The only difference I can see is the price. I asked the mechanic at the dealership and he said "Well, you've got a 50/50 chance." I even had them look up my VIN number to see if there was a way to tell which my car needed.

How do I know which size bearing I need to order for my car? The only answers I have are to take the thing apart and see. I can't afford to order both assemblies to have them on hand, and I also can't leave my car on the lift for a week until the correct bearing arrives.

Thank you,
Justin
Old 15 Jul 2010, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Which wheel bearing/hub assembly do I need?

If nobody here answers, try PTCrew - my hunch would be that the larger size would be for turbo - does it have year in the listing? Turbos came out in '03, so if listing covers several years, that's what it COULD be.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Jul 2010, 08:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

It's probably simple, and just has to do with me not having any experience. Let me rephrase the question.

Is the bearing to hub size the only part that matters? I mean, once the hub is assembled, will it fit on the knuckle regardless of wether it's a 33 or a 39mm?

I'm probably just gonna order the 39mm (cheap) set and give it a go.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 01:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Guy at the shop said my front right wheel hub was loose on my 05 Kia Sedona. What does this mean for a fix? Tighten, replace etc? And is this something that is easy enough to figure out and if so how? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by leedavis; 17 Aug 2010 at 08:44 pm.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 11:39 am
Young Cruiser

I just replaced my daughter's bearings (01' PT). Advance Auto had them (39mm) for $51 (online) a piece. The in-store price is higher but they will price match.

Lee, you probably need the bearings replaced. You can't "tighten" them. The bearings are cheap (relatively speaking)... it's the Labor that kills you ($).
Old 16 Aug 2010, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
I have an '02 PT Cruiser Touring with the 2.4L DOHC. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I know my driver's side front wheel bearing needs replacing. It's sounding pretty rough, so I'm just planning to replace the whole hub at the same time. I have a mechanic to help press the bearing/hub/knuckle together. I just need the parts. On rockauto.com and just about every other parts store, including the dealership, there are listed two different assemblies. One is 33mm and the other is 39mm. The only difference I can see is the price. I asked the mechanic at the dealership and he said "Well, you've got a 50/50 chance." I even had them look up my VIN number to see if there was a way to tell which my car needed.

How do I know which size bearing I need to order for my car? The only answers I have are to take the thing apart and see. I can't afford to order both Wheel Hub Assembly to have them on hand, and I also can't leave my car on the lift for a week until the correct bearing arrives.

Thank you,
Justin
the US version of the PT is different to the Aussie version. The bearings we use are 6mm smaller in width. So make sure you get the right ones.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 16 Aug 2010 at 07:27 pm.