Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
NITROGEN OR REG AIR.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2010, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question NITROGEN OR REG AIR.

Hi don't know if this is been covered yet, I am new to the site.

Is Nitrogen for the tires better then REG air .

I currently have Nitrogen, and would like to know if this is a better choice?
and why for my own better understanding.

Thank you.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: NITROGEN OR REG AIR.

There are a lot of supposedly good advantages for having nitrogen instead of air. I have it in my Corvette and my wife's KIA. Regular air in my PT. I don't really notice a difference except that I have to take the cars with the nitrogen to one of the dealers when I need air. The PT I just top off at home.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 08:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Nitrogen are bigger molecules that are suppose to be less susceptible to leaks.

Still, check your pressure religiously
Old 17 Jul 2010, 08:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

I too have a mixture in the vehicles i own, Some have nitro and some plain air. The biggest thing i notice is the nitro filled tires maintain their pressure year round it seem where air only can vary depending on temp, etc...

Is it worth the $20 most charge? I dont know, i always worked out a deal when i get tires put on so i get it free
Old 17 Jul 2010, 11:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Air is 78% nitrogen. If having an extra 22% nitrogen makes that big of a difference I've never noticed it the couple times I've had N2 (Costco). It may make a difference for truckers who are doing a heck of a lot more miles than us and have bigger tires but personally I think it's more a marketing thing than actually doing anything different than plain ol' air.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 04:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by codfather204 View Post
Air is 78% nitrogen. If having an extra 22% nitrogen makes that big of a difference I've never noticed it the couple times I've had N2 (Costco). It may make a difference for truckers who are doing a heck of a lot more miles than us and have bigger tires but personally I think it's more a marketing thing than actually doing anything different than plain ol' air.
I absolutely agree codfather. The air we breath is 3/4 nitrogen and there is no major advantage to running pure nitrogen. I drive a bus and we were on the nitrogen thing for awhile but the tests that were done prove there were no major benefits to using it, except for the people selling it.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 02:28 pm
Young Cruiser

My wife and I are using nitrogen in her Xterra and in my PT Cruiser. The first winter I had the PT, we had typical Tennessee temerature shifts which cause me to lose 7 psi evenly on each tire, every day. That is significant enough, I had the wheels and tires checked out andthen filled with nitrogen. I do not check my pressures as often as I should, but anytime I am preparing for a trip or add extra load to the Cruiser, I do check and verify the pressures are steady and I have not any loss of pressure since installing nitrogen. My wife's Xterra has been the same way. Beyond that, I believe nitrogen offers a little firmer ride, at least wtih the PT, but I am also willing to acknowledge that might be my imagination.

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Former: 1986 Dodge Daytona, 1988 Jeep Cherokee, 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, 2002 Jeep Wrangler, 1995 Ford Taurus Wagon, 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Old 26 Aug 2010, 10:52 am
Regular Cruiser

The two biggest advantages to nitrogen, and they aren't very big, is that, one, the nitrogen will be dry which will reduce slightly a loss of pressure due to condensation and will also reduce corrosion that could be caused by moisture in the tire. Two, nitrogen is nearly inert which will reduce corrosion that could be caused by the oxygen in the air in an air filled tire.

I suppose if you keep refilling tires long enough, you end up with dry nitrogen since the oxygen and water vapor do leave first.

None of this makes a hill of beans in automobile tires, though those selling it as an advantage are correct; the advantage is so small as to not be worthwhile unless free.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 01:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The two biggest advantages to nitrogen, and they aren't very big, is that, one, the nitrogen will be dry which will reduce slightly a loss of pressure due to condensation and will also reduce corrosion that could be caused by moisture in the tire. Two, nitrogen is nearly inert which will reduce corrosion that could be caused by the oxygen in the air in an air filled tire.

I suppose if you keep refilling tires long enough, you end up with dry nitrogen since the oxygen and water vapor do leave first.

None of this makes a hill of beans in automobile tires, though those selling it as an advantage are correct; the advantage is so small as to not be worthwhile unless free.
Mal,

I was of the same opinion until the late fall of the first year of owning my PT. There is some combination that caused the pressure to drop significantly each night there was more than a 30 degree difference in temperature. The benefit for me of not airing the tires during the mornings when the tire pressure had dropped is worth it to me. Again, whether in my mind or reality, the ride still feels better to me. There are certainly other ways to combat the reduction of pressure, however, I have bought into the benefit of nitrogen.

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Former: 1986 Dodge Daytona, 1988 Jeep Cherokee, 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, 2002 Jeep Wrangler, 1995 Ford Taurus Wagon, 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Old 26 Aug 2010, 02:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

my wifes KIA has Nitergon adn they told her that all INDY RACE cars have it so it must be good RIGHT??????